PDA

View Full Version : rotating two towers

RobG
2006-04-20, 04:41 PM
We have a site with two towers, they're next to eachother and rotated about 30deg from their respective center points.

each tower needs to be rotated about 5deg from their centers. what's the best way to grab a whole tower, with all the tags, grids, text, room seperations etc.etc.etc. and rotate it?

the rest of the site (parking structure, 3rd building etc.) is not to be rotated..

luigi
2006-04-20, 05:11 PM
We have a site with two towers, they're next to eachother and rotated about 30deg from their respective center points.

each tower needs to be rotated about 5deg from their centers. what's the best way to grab a whole tower, with all the tags, grids, text, room seperations etc.etc.etc. and rotate it?

the rest of the site (parking structure, 3rd building etc.) is not to be rotated..
In my opinion it is a little too specific of a question, and it depends on how you set up your drawings, which I guess it depends on what phase you are in.

In Example, are you showing each tower on the drawings individually (by themselves)? If so, are you showing the tower with its distortion, or parallel to the sheet? If you are showing it parallel to the sheet, how are you showing that? Through Project North vs. True North? or Using the Scope Boxes? or using the Callout Views?

Can you attach a image clip of the current plans (site and floor plans) and also do you have various plans in your documents that have been developed? or just the Site, main floor plan, and roof? The more plans you have set up with View dependent elements (text, dimensions, etc) the more complicated the solution will be (but not imposible)

I am sorry that I have too many questions, but I know that a good answer would need this info....

Peace,
Luigi

RobG
2006-04-20, 05:38 PM
there's no true north vs project north, and they're plotting rotated on the sheets. we just need to rotate them on the project independantly, each by 5deg upon their own center points.

we just wanna be able to rotate everything without missing any information/gridlines/notes.
just curious what the best way about this is.

each building has it's own set of worksets (ie: west-shell, west-structures, west-grid, and so on..with the east getting it's own)

aggockel50321
2006-04-20, 05:43 PM
You might find it easier to split the two tower project into two projects each with a tower, and then the site as a separate project.

Then link each tower into the site, & rotate them there...

RobG
2006-04-20, 05:46 PM
the problem with that is the connector building between them. we're hesitant about linked files cause they seem limited in their ability to be recognized for and how they interact with the rest of the project when you put new walls against the linked ones.

luigi
2006-04-20, 06:23 PM
there's no true north vs project north, and they're plotting rotated on the sheets. we just need to rotate them on the project independantly, each by 5deg upon their own center points.

we just wanna be able to rotate everything without missing any information/gridlines/notes.
just curious what the best way about this is.

each building has it's own set of worksets (ie: west-shell, west-structures, west-grid, and so on..with the east getting it's own)
I have been able to select all of the 3d and 2d(each seperate view) at the same time, and then the rotate will work on all selected
(I would go into a 3d view (non perspective) that has everything on (all worksets and all phases) and select with big window everything.... then I would go into each view and do a big window around everything that is 2d as well (by adding to the selection) and when I think I had all selected, I would do the rotate command (but make sure to filter out things like views, etc. that you don't want rotated) Use a good reference point for your rotate, so that if you forgot to rotate something you know exactly which point you used....

Keep in mind that you cannot escape some tweeking (for example the text will be pointed correctly, but the text will be crooked...you then will have to rotate the text, but not the whole text with leader, to have it parallel with the bottom of your page....

You can also do it by steps...first the 3d elements in a 3d view, then each view individually, as long as you have an exact point of reference that is always in the same position...

Hope this helps,

Peace,
Luigi

dhurtubise
2006-04-20, 09:55 PM
Rob, two towers ???? Wait 'till the king's get back :-)

RobG
2006-04-20, 10:13 PM
different project. they dumped it on me for the day. FUN FUN FUN!

SCShell
2006-04-21, 01:44 PM
Hey there,
I have no idea if this will help; however, the other "simple" way to rotate graphically is to simply activate (show) the crop region and then rotate the crop region.

Simple and old trick, but many users don't know about it.
Good Luck
Steve

David Haynes
2006-04-21, 02:55 PM
Great tip Steve, but works on a per-view basis.

Wes Macaulay
2006-04-21, 03:52 PM

the rest of the site (parking structure, 3rd building etc.) is not to be rotated..Your section and view tags are not going along for this ride -- you'll have to deal with that separately.

In a 3D view or elevation view whose depth will capture each building in its entirety, turn on everything above the parkade. Group each tower and then try to rotate it. It may not work, but it's your best bet.

Steve Mintz
2006-04-21, 04:28 PM
I agree that it would be "best" to put the towers into different models, along with a host model, but recognize the interaction difficulties.

Another consideration would be to put each tower in its own workset. Not only will this help to "divide" the work, but you can use VG to easily only show on or the other. Using this method, you could simply show one tower at a time, grab all the elements, and use the rotate command.

RS3 also has the capability to "Save and Retrieve Selection Sets" (pg. 4 of the release notes). I haven't been able to try it, as I'm quite happy with the Workset "workaround"

Hope that helps!

luigi
2006-04-21, 04:54 PM
Your section and view tags are not going along for this ride -- you'll have to deal with that separately...
Wes.... I had taken care of the "CYA" issue (although I am trying to convert people in using the "CYB" terminology...it sounds a bit less vulgar ;) ) by having added this statement...

(but make sure to filter out things like views, etc. that you don't want rotated)

Steve_Stafford
2006-04-21, 07:48 PM
I assume that Rob's towers are sitting on a podium and they are more interelated than just being near each other. Probably share lobby space etc with the podium which means rotating them also affects the podium "tower" areas.

I'll add this...

Do it on a COPY!

Group your tower(s) temporarily as you make sure all your model objects are selected. It will be sluggish but you'll get the whole tower to rotate more reliably (mileage may vary). The annotation and such can't be part of the group but having the tower as a group will make it easier to collect all the annotation and then add the building to the selection set.

Once rotated...UNGROUP!!!!