PDA

View Full Version : Nudge - A newbie question...

Brian Myers
2006-04-21, 01:18 PM
The first of many new user questions.

When drawing in Revit I know you can "nudge" an object with the arrow keys.
First, what is this actually called?

Second, I know depending one where you are zoomed in the drawing it will make the "nudge" either larger or smaller. Is there a way to control this nudge or to know just how much of a "nudge" its going to produce?

I think I have many of the most basic commands down, but there are a few features (like this) I'm still amazing uneducated about! :p (I can't even search for it because I don't actually know what to call it!)

:beer: :beer: To each good answer I get! :-)

iru69
2006-04-21, 01:39 PM
If there is an official name for it, I do not know either - but I've always seen it referred to as "nudge"... so I think it's safe to refer to it as that :)

Go to Settings > Snaps. You'll see "Length Dimension Snap Increments". I believe that is what controls the nudge increments (as well as when placing/moving objects by other means).

HTH

Edit: Well, that's how I thought it worked - but I just tried it and it doesn't seem to - so I guess I don't know either :(

eddy.lermytte
2006-04-21, 01:42 PM
The nudge tool works in accordance with the snap settings
1 arrow = 1 snap unit
1 shift arrow = 10 snap units

LRaiz
2006-04-21, 01:44 PM
It is called Nudge.

The command works in conjunction with Settings | Snaps dialog. Revit looks for the largest distance listed among linear snaps such that its multiple would result in on screen movement not greater than 2mm. Resulting distance obviously depends not just on snaps but also on view scale and zoom factor, but would be a multiple of a snap. By holding down SHIFT key you can nudge 10x distance.

Brian Myers
2006-04-21, 01:51 PM
I'd always heard it called "nudge" too, but it doesn't show even in the Revit Help file. From what I've read here, there isn't a way to set it exactly or know just how far it will nudge you? Would this be true?

It would be nice to be able to set it... say to 1/2" increments or whatever. It would make tweaking floor plan dimensions much easier, just grab the walls and nudge it over... no typing (besides a couple arrow key strikes ) involved...

Joef
2006-04-21, 02:09 PM
This is useful info that should be in the Revit help file. Should we assume that the person who writes the help file willl read this and add it to the help file? We have been told that the factory reads this forum.

Joe

aaronrumple
2006-04-21, 04:00 PM
I'd always heard it called "nudge" too, but it doesn't show even in the Revit Help file. From what I've read here, there isn't a way to set it exactly or know just how far it will nudge you? Would this be true?

It would be nice to be able to set it... say to 1/2" increments or whatever. It would make tweaking floor plan dimensions much easier, just grab the walls and nudge it over... no typing (besides a couple arrow key strikes ) involved...
It would be good if the current nugde and snap increment could show in the status bar. Otherwise it is something of a guess because of the interpolation between zoom levels. Or - just hard code it like In CorelDraw witch has nudge, micro-nudge and super nudge....

dhurtubise
2006-04-21, 06:13 PM
Great idea, post it in the wish list

irwin
2006-04-22, 02:50 PM
When drawing in Revit I know you can "nudge" an object with the arrow keys. First, what is this actually called?
It is called Nudge. You might wonder how you can tell (besides the fact that both Leonid and I said so ;) ). Here's how. Move an object up using the arrow keys. Now open the Edit menu. The top item is "Undo Nudge Up". You can also see the command name in the journal file.