PDA

View Full Version : What's the fastest way to get up and running on REVIT 6.1 ??

megmkrd1933
2004-05-18, 01:52 AM
I wish I was Superman ... err ... SUPERWOMAN!!!!

OK, I need to "... move like a speeding bullet and jump over tall buildings..." after I install my REVIT 6.1 CD tomorrow. What is the fastest way to learn?

I have been going thru my REVIT 6.0 tutorials this last year. I completed about 30%. My tutorials filled TWO 3" ring notebooks. About 875 pages. No time for that. I have 5 years of drafting experience on Autocad 13, 14, ADT 2000 and some small amount of VIZ 4. I have been slow as a snail because of back surgery and rehab this past year. I am ready to take the REVIT 6.1 plunge!

How do I "jump start" into REVIT 6.1? I have been offered a great drafting job for a custom home builder in the Orlando, FL area now. Please, any suggestions would help me. Thank you.

PS Is REVIT 6.1 compatible with Soft Plan? The custom builder uses Soft Plan.

beegee
2004-05-18, 02:09 AM
Hi Meg,

The great thing about Revit is that it's very easy to learn/use, particularly compared to those "other" programmes you've been using. :wink:

You've done 30% of the tuts, so just jump in and start on a project. As questions come up, post here or check out specific tutorials covering that aspect.

As far as conversing with SoftPlan goes, I'm guessing that dwg transfers will be the way to go, as they are for interacting with any other CAD programme.

Good luck and let us know how you are going with it.

Wes Macaulay
2004-05-18, 02:37 PM
Softplan is like a very light version of Revit... they're probably not compatible in the 3D sense -- you couldn't take your final Revit model and take it into Softplan to finish it, if that's what you mean, but in 2D you could probably export a 2D plan from Revit and import that into Softplan.

Softplan is limited to housing-type projects, while with Revit you can handle anything from housing to multistorey towers. If ever decide you want to get into something big, you've got the right tool, Meg.

As for getting going... the basics of Revit are easy to learn. Post here a lot -- answers come pretty fast around here.

sbrown
2004-05-18, 04:21 PM
1. Do the getting started with revit Help>Getting Started.
2. Do all the tutorial
3. Start and commit to finishing a project in revit (start small and build in some learning time)
4. Come to zoog for help(augi when its up and running.)

Tom Dorner
2004-05-18, 07:06 PM
I would add doing the Revit distance learning seminars. They are taught by live instructors, are free and are very good. Go to the main Autodesk page, choose "support" from the left top box, at the "support" page choose "Autodesk Revit" from the drop down "training" box then choose "instuctor led training", "distance learning seminars".

Like everything on the Autodesk site, not easy to find but worth it once you do.

Tom

dg
2004-05-18, 08:46 PM
I am just exploring Revit, and inspired by its ease of use after the first few tutorials, I lunged into a project - but have been held up when things did not go as expected.

I am now trying to complete more of the tutorials before continuing - as I have spent more than a few hours trying to figure something out, only to find it was a simple task when I found it in the tutorial/instruction guide.

The search facility of this site has proved invaluable though

studio3p
2004-05-18, 11:07 PM
Unfortunately the "Index" and "Search" tabs found within the on-screen Revit Help are of limited value. There have been many times when I've wanted to locate a topic that I remembered from the tutorials that simply yielded no results on either of these tabs. Take for example the very useful ability to set a project's base elevation. I would think that "base", "elevation", "project" might yield a useful link, but if you enter any these words into either the "Index" or "Search" fields you end up with a whole lot of nothing. And I find this strange, frustrating, and ... did I say strange? I say strange in particular because the title of the tutorial that explains this feature is "Setting the Base Elevation of a Project". Strange. This is all a long winded way of suggesting that until the Revit team produces a more robust indexing database for the on-screen help, you'll want to stay very close to the discussion forums (Zoog this week, and AUGI in the near future).

AbigayleAEC
2004-05-19, 12:33 AM
If you find that the tutorials aren't providing you the complete knowledge in the time frame you need, I strongly recommend you locate a qualified Revit Authorized Training Center. You can find instructor led training from the Autodesk website. Make sure you inquire about their qualifications and experience with Revit. If they have experience with successfully implementing Revit, they will dramitically reduce your learning curve so that you can be productive faster.

Danny_Sim
2004-05-19, 01:30 AM
I've been using Autocad for the last 12 years and Architectural desktop for 5 years. I'm still strugling with ADT after 5 years. But with Revit, I'm already up and running in less than a month.
I only started by following the tutorial in the "getting started" booklet that comes with the package. The rests are just very intuitive.
But of course I can't deny that visiting zoogdesign & revitcity really help a lot. :lol:
I'm happy to show my first 3d model & rendered in Revit

beegee
2004-05-19, 01:52 AM
Nice work Danny !

Maybe you'd like to post another copy of the render in our Gallery forum.

Where are your palm trees from ?

Danny_Sim
2004-05-19, 02:04 AM
Nice work Danny !

Maybe you'd like to post another copy of the render in our Gallery forum.

Where are your palm trees from ?

thanks beegee.
I am using Revit series ver 2( 6.1) with Autocad 2005. All the trees were from Revit libraries. There are bunch of trees, shrubs, ground covers, etc there. really good for landscape.