PDA

View Full Version : Project North - True North

Davied2
2006-04-22, 10:00 PM
I understand the true north and project north settings in revit - its great and really helpfull.

My co-worker asked me to show him how to do this and I was asked a question - hope you guys n gals can help.

If I am linking in an AutoCad DWG file which is a survey - the grid and building are already aligned to true north but the building is at an angle on the site.

I want to set up true north and project north but as the DWG is already set to true north when I set true/project north and rotate the view to show the building is horizontal this becomes true north.

Therefore my True North is really project north and vice versa - it works fine but does anyone have any suggestions how to reverse this so that I can import the DWG into true north and when I rotate the view to show the building horizontal it becomes project north.

Any suggestions and I Hope this makes sense.

Dave - in rainy Wales

Davied2
2006-04-23, 07:49 PM
Anyone have any suggestions ???

CGM
2006-04-23, 08:40 PM
Anyone have any suggestions ???How're ya doing?
I haven't got any suggestions as I don't know the first thing about REVIT (AutoCAD 2004 me) How ever don't get discouraged, I am sure a REVIT user will be along in a while. In the mean time could you put the original AutoCAD file on here as an attachment, perhaps we could get around the problem by simply changing the rotation in that file to avoid the problem occurring after importing.

Steve_Stafford
2006-04-23, 09:00 PM
Just to clarify...

Your site dwg has the building rotated according to the true north orientation your project will maintain?

Your Revit project has been drawn assuming project north, easy to put on paper so to speak?

If so you need to tell Revit what True North is. A recent tutorial was posted at Beegee's blog, Revitalize (http://revit-alize.blogspot.com/2006/02/north-by-northwest.html).

Once done doing that, just import the site dwg into the site plan view, using the current view only option.