View Full Version : Area Schedule ?

fuall1922
2004-05-19, 02:26 PM
I have 3 area's A,B,C
Is there a way in the schedule to calculate A+C=Total
then divide the Total by B? :oops:

sbrown
2004-05-19, 04:06 PM
Not automatically, you have to make 2 shared parameters and manualy enter the totals from each.

Steve_Stafford
2004-05-19, 04:44 PM
I don't believe it is possible in a native schedule (without the manual data entry Scott describes)

You can sort and filter based on criteria contained in a specific record (data row), so you can sort/filter to calculate the total of two records (A&C) by using a third common parameter to group them with. But you won't be able to use the result to compare them in yet another comparison with B. I think of it as "horizontal" or "flat" data...calculations only within the data row, not "vertically" or outside the data row.

This would be possible if you export to a delimited file that you then import into Excel. Another option would be to use Access via the ODBC export.

With Excel you'll have to create formulas and address your equation to the appropriate records.

With Access you'd most likely still need a common parameter to help Access group your areas as needed so your query can calculate the total. A second query would compare the results, two steps)

Perhaps there is another possibility but it escapes me...for now.

hj
2004-05-19, 05:51 PM
I have found a way to do everything I've wanted when it comes to schedules and calculating values through creating parameters. I would not be suprised if you could figure out how to do this within the program, it just takes a little time and figuring things out.

It might be easier and faster to export to excel or access though... :D

Steve_Stafford
2004-05-19, 06:06 PM
Okay...HJ...I challenge you "slap...slap"...(poor heavy French accent attempted) :D How would you do this natively...the more I think about this, the more I think it "can't" be done in a schedule.

What do you say Mr. Conant?

Phil Read
2004-05-19, 06:32 PM
Fuall -

Can you explain what you are trying to accomplish? I'm curious because if you have three areas wouldn't the Total be A+B+C? Are you trying to determine the percentage of area B given the total areas?

-Phil

aaronrumple
2004-05-19, 07:11 PM
My $0.02...

The area calc's I need most are:

Floor Area Ratio (Building/Site).
Covered/Paved area of site as percent.
Building Efficiency.... Renatable/Net vs. Structure/Core

fuall1922
2004-05-19, 07:22 PM
Phil I need to find a Useable Percentage.
Lets say: A = Total Area
B = Office Area
C = Common Area
B + C & then get a % of A = (Ratio).
The next bit is easy: Ratio * B = Usable Tenant Area.
The funny thing is I can get the Ratio using a calculator, but can't seem to ask that of the schedule. I dont want to have to enter these Ratio Values manually. Too many
I have looked into batch exports! But the powers that be want it on the Area Plans: All inside

Same goes for Site Area / Coverage = Floor Area Ratio

sbrown
2004-05-19, 08:01 PM
1. I've been asked to compute the percentage of the gross area for each area type,

ie. circulation is 10% of the gross while food service is x% of the gross. This would be easy if you could query your gross area schedule to retrieve its value.

fuall1922
2004-05-20, 04:24 AM
Exactly Sbrown
All the info is there, we just want to query it.
I've done far to many manual schedules in my life, and in a variety of software to achieve one thing. Export/Link; Copy/Paste special what a mission.
Revit does spoil us though, with scheduling, but 90% of the functionality is there. Surely being a database, should allow us to query anything! :?:

hj
2004-05-20, 06:21 PM
Okay...HJ...I challenge you "slap...slap"...(poor heavy French accent attempted) :D How would you do this natively...

I accept your challenge!

I took a quick look at this... or not so quick... and I was right, it's much easier and faster to do this by hand... but I think I got it going somewhere. For the method I've used, you've got to draw the gross and useable area boundaries... and tag every area... It's really involved so I'm not going to explain everything, I'm on my lunch break... :-) Just look at the attached images and maybe I'll attach the rfa if anyone's interested.

I hope I understood what we're after here...

Ciao

hj
2004-05-20, 06:21 PM
um... I guess I didn't attach both images....

Steve_Stafford
2004-05-20, 06:59 PM
Posting the project would be nice...see if you can upload it. I assume you are manually entering the "total useable area" column data for each area?

hj
2004-05-20, 07:07 PM
I assume you are manually entering the "total useable area" column data for each area?

Nope, all dynamic! Here's the rfa, You could probably add an extra parameter called "area type" or something and use conditional statements to get the area percentages of each area type as well.

aggockel50321
2004-05-20, 07:27 PM
Nice job, Hiroshi.

Steve_Stafford
2004-05-20, 08:27 PM
Glad you took up my challenge Hiroshi! Thanks for teaching me something new! I had no idea the percentage data type offered up the gross area in such away...

Owe you one!

sbrown
2004-05-20, 08:57 PM
Your method appears to require you to place an area boundary on the inside and outside face of every wall in a project. While this would work the time it would take is immense. I just tried another solution.

1. Create a schedule key titled total gross area.
2. Input the value of your gross area.
3. Select all area tags in your project, assign the schedule key.
4. now you can create a calculated value in your schedules that compares the gross area to individual areas.

So you only have to check one data entry to be correct.

ita
2004-05-21, 12:51 AM
A great example of synergetic cooperation. SBrown, what a great improvement to hj's very original thinking and implementation. Thanks guys . :)

I have certainly learnt aso much from those two posts.

This is an example of the great thing about this site. As a single practitioner I don't (usually) get an opportunity to see other minds at work.

hj
2004-05-21, 01:16 AM
sbrown you are absolutely correct, I actually had thought of that but my mission was to do it all without manual entry. You're right though, it takes much less work your way. Kudos!

fuall1922
2004-05-21, 04:46 AM
AAGH I cant thank you enough!!!
Well done HJ
Sbrown "Barenaked Ladies"? did you gather inspiration from this for your research? :oops:
Could you possibally post the rvt file (include some inspiration)

jbalding48677
2004-05-21, 06:20 AM
A great example of synergetic cooperation. SBrown, what a great improvement to hj's very original thinking and implementation. Thanks guys . :)

I have certainly learnt aso much from those two posts.

This is an example of the great thing about this site. As a single practitioner I don't (usually) get an opportunity to see other minds at work.

Don't leave out Steve Stafford in your kudos. He did brainstorm with Scott. :P

Great solution to an issue all of you, I am impressed.

fuall1922
2004-05-21, 10:04 AM
HJ you're an absolute champ :!: :!:
I have taken it further now, but by opening the door to the yes/no field, has lead to all sort of possibilities. :idea:

ita
2004-05-21, 10:22 AM
Jim, you are so right I did not recognise Steve S's contribution. Magical all three. :D