PDA

View Full Version : SketchUp import in V9

kyeric
2006-04-27, 04:22 AM
Since we don't have our copy of V9 yet, I will ask the question to others that have...

Has anyone used the SketchUp import yet?

-and-

How does it work for you?

I would assume that it would bring in a simple skp file and pick to click floor, wall or roof, but is this all it can do? Can you create families quicker with this plug-in? Why am I rambling on? Will I ever stop asking questions?

Thanks everyone,
e

greg.mcdowell
2006-04-27, 04:36 AM
From what I've heard (i.e. read) it's really no different than going from SketchUp to AutoCAD to Revit (or rather exporting from an SKP to a DWG and then importing that into Revit). In R9 you'll be able to skip the export step in SketchUp.

I haven't tried it yet but you should be able to use an external model file to assist in the creation of a family. I don't think you'd be able to apply parameters to it though (making it stretch and the like).

Also, since SketchUp doesn't use solid modeling you won't be able to create Floor Areas (or at least you can't in R8.1 with exported DWGs from SketchUp). That's a real bummer for me and I hope I'm wrong.

nole
2006-04-27, 05:57 AM
Hi there!
If You import SketchUp model in Mass family, than You'll be able to make roofs by face, floors by face, curtain systems by face from that model.

beegee
2006-04-27, 08:33 AM
I don't think you can do floors by face from an SU model. ( least last time I looked you couldn't. )

muttlieb
2006-04-27, 01:07 PM
I don't think you can do floors by face from an SU model. ( least last time I looked you couldn't. )
You can. Select imported SU mass and click the Floor Area Faces button in the options bar. Select the levels you want to create floors for and then you can use the Floor by Face tool.

greg.mcdowell
2006-04-27, 02:33 PM
That's good news... glad to hear it (now if our copy of R9 would just show up alread <gosh>)

mcilrath
2006-04-27, 05:14 PM
You can download it. Check the "Revit Building - General" forum here. The link is provided by Wes Macaulay in the second sticky post.

You can register it and be totally on board without the shipped copy.

VM

That's good news... glad to hear it (now if our copy of R9 would just show up alread <gosh>)

greg.mcdowell
2006-04-27, 05:16 PM
I know... and I've tried telling that to our CAD Manager but he didn't do it... no idea why.

vmichl
2006-04-27, 07:26 PM
The new Google 3D Warehouse will become a good resource of 3D models for Revit - http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/
Revit 9 imports these models smoothly. SKP file format support was a good move for R9...

Vladimir Michl, www.xanadu.cz , www.cadforum.cz

kyeric
2006-04-27, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the follow-ups, guys and gals!

-e

dgreen.49364
2006-04-27, 11:44 PM
So far, I have not had luck with importing Sketchup files. They are fine if I want to leave them whole and intact...maybe for background purposes in a rendering. If I want to use the model I get nothing. When I explode the model, I lose everything. I played with it for about an hour and moved on to something else, but I would really like to figure this out.

dhurtubise
2006-04-28, 01:10 AM
I imported model pretty easily. Did you insert that in a massing object ?

UpNorth
2006-04-28, 05:20 PM
Speaking of SU, have you seen this (Google SU is free):

http://aec.cadalyst.com/aec/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=322463