PDA

View Full Version : Revit network install best practice

ron.sanpedro
2006-04-27, 04:34 PM
I am attempting to get my head around the best way to install and manage content with Revit in a networked environment. I am at the Edit Installation Settings stage of building a Network install, and I can't find any
Specifically, there is the Default File Locations, User files option. What are "User files" in this context? Is this project files? Or some sort of user specific family library?
Also, in the library list, I have a lot of duplicates. There is an Imperial Library option that points to a path of "Imperial Library", no drive or UNC path. Then there is Imperial Library (1) that points to the MS Labrynth (ie Documents and Settings...), then there is Imperial Library (1) (1) that points to my network share where I have stuff. SO, what is that first one that seems to point at nothing? And what is considered best practice? I had thought to put all the content on the server to speed the installs (no actual content installed, just pointed to) and to ensure consistancy. Or is that an AutoCAD mindset?
Also, on the rendering front, I have default pathing to Program Files, Network shares and Labrynth. Colors and materials are a BIG deal around here, and one thought was to point the installs only to a network share for materials, and put things there that have "passed muster". The Graphics Manager would have the full library available to work from. Again, best practice?

If there is a PDF out there somewhere that explains all this, I would love to find it. The user guide says nothing more than "enter the correct information here" but tells me nothing about what that information should be!

Much thanks,
Gordon

tim.101799
2006-04-27, 05:29 PM
What I have done at our firm for both revit and autocad is to install all of the shared content to a server share, and install the base program on the local computer. That way everyone is using the same content on the server, and I can easily update templates and familys in one location on the server.

If I remeber correctly when I set up Revit 8.1 there was an option for this type of install. It even asked you where you wanted the shared contect installed on the server. My copy of Revit 9 came in the morning and I haven't even opened the package yet, so I am not sure what install options there are.

Scott D Davis
2006-04-27, 06:05 PM
What does everyone do for an office thats a mix of desktops and laptops? We used to install all content on a server, and the desktop had paths the the network.

On laptops, disconnect from the network and all your content is not available! We started to install local on all machines, but then how do you ensure all the content is up to date on every machine? We are constantly updating/tweaking families. What about shared parameters?? Tough to "share" parameters when you are on the road....

ron.sanpedro
2006-04-27, 06:21 PM
What does everyone do for an office thats a mix of desktops and laptops?

For AutoCAD I have been playing with Offline Files. I have all office standard content on a network share, mapped to the S: drive. On the laptops, the S: drive is also configured for Offline Files. When you log on or log off, Windows checks for changes and syncs only the changes. the Acad profile is the same because it still points at the S: drive. Windows just makes sure that the "local" S: drive stays updated. Pretty slick, and working well in limited implamentation.
For Revit I am looking at installing it on our old beast laptop, with the same offlined files approach, and allowing people to take the laptop and a borrowed license home for the week-end, to play with learning Revit (and be guinea pigs ;).

Best,
Gordon

ron.sanpedro
2006-04-27, 06:23 PM
And a secondary question. Has anyone found a way to have the Revit install also create a C:\Revit_Local folder? Right now I can use GPO to install Revit, but then I have to manually go around and create the local folder for work sharing. Maybe someday the whole work sharing approach will be less kludgy and more behind the scenes, but for now a way to implament it automatically would go a long way.

Thanks again,
Gordon

cphubb
2006-04-27, 06:40 PM
We also install ALL content on a networked drive. For our laptops we use the offline files option and most of the time it works. We found that the files need to be deleted and recopied regularly or the get jacked up somehow.
BTW I have a local copy of the straight Revit content also installed on my laptop for VPN usage and put up with the errors finding content since I know much of it is on my C drive. I do not copy the office content because of the disk space usage

dhurtubise
2006-04-27, 06:49 PM
I use the synchronisation fonction to keep the laptop up to date. I had some issue with the microsoft tool so i trun to another application that now works perfectly

cparsons
2006-04-28, 04:06 PM
hi all....we covered this in a few previous posts. what we do is push the content locally using a batch file and xcopy. this solves the laptop issue as well as improves performance...

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=33659&highlight=network

DaveP
2006-05-12, 03:12 PM
Has anyone had any problems with XCOPY?

Seeing as that's a good-old DOS command, I'm wondering if there might be a problem with the file names. The longest one I've found is:

C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataAutodeskRevit Building 9Imperial LibraryDetail ComponentsDiv 07-Thermal and Moisture Protection7600-Flashing and Sheet Metal7645-Preformed FlashingsWall Flashing-Double Through Wall-Section.rfa

That's exexactly55 characters, which I believe is the DOS limit.
I had a batch file blow up on me (on time) trying to copy down the content. I haven't been able to reproduce it, but I'm wondering if there is a longer file name in there.