PDA

View Full Version : Demolish Items Transparent

ddebaufre
2006-04-28, 12:54 PM
This may seem too easy, but when I have a demo item in view I want it to only be a dashed outline. Currently it has a "fill" and blocks everything behind it. Is it possible to have these demo items completely transparent?

Joef
2006-04-28, 01:57 PM
I'm just going off the top of my head here, but I think you can adjust the Phase-Demo material in the graphic overrides tab of the Phase settings. Adjust it so the transparency is 100%.

Joe

ddebaufre
2006-04-28, 02:12 PM
Thanks, But I already tried that. BTW the views I am working on are plans and sections, if that makes a difference. ie. an exg. wall gets demolished then a new one goes up and intersects where the demo was, the demo wall is now in front of (or over) the new wall (and everything else for that matter). Does what I am saying make sense to anyone?

mmodernc
2006-04-28, 11:07 PM
Thats the way it seems to work
i think this is a bug or just a pita
i think it has something to do with not being able to make solid fills transparent
you can do it with filled regions but it cannot be a solid colour fill, has to have a hatch pattern
search other posts under filled region transparency
one for the factory since revit was a boy (or girl)

iru69
2006-04-28, 11:51 PM
Is it possible to have these demo items completely transparent?
No. This has been discussed a number of times before. Unfortunately, the demo feature is nearly useless for those of us who like to show demo'd as part of our "new" floor plan.

There are two "work-arounds" that I've tried.

One workaround is to create a duplicate view, turn the visibility off for everything except the demo'd objects and turn the model graphics style to "Wireframe" and overlay the view over your "new" floor plan (which has the demo'd turned off) on a sheet. This is a major drag, but kind of works.

The other workaround is to trace over the demoed objects with detail or model lines and then turn off the demo'd objects. This is a major drag, but less fuss.

To date, I prefer the latter because, for me, it ends up being faster than constantly spending time troubleshooting a broken feature. Just my 2 cents.

Scott D Davis
2006-04-29, 12:12 AM
anyone tried the new tool in Revit 9.0 "Show Hidden Lines"? Also, if someone could post an image example of the condition you are talking about, it would help.

iru69
2006-04-29, 01:22 AM
See first image for example of problem.

I also posted a very vivid example in this thread: http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=2007

See second image for "show hidden lines" example.

Thank you Scott for pointing me to a new feature I wasn't aware of yet. However, while you really got my hopes up for a minute... the "show hidden lines" feature only works in a limited capacity - there are a couple of show stoppers.

First, there's only one "hidden line" setting per category, so if, for example, you have a plumbing fixture with multiple lineweights, which do you choose? If you set the "hidden line" to a thin line, it makes the heavy lines look ghosted in - and if you bump up the lineweight of the "hidden line", you get heavy lines where thin lines should be.

Second, it doesn't do anything for floor patterns or colors, so you end up with a "stripe" where a pattern or color is (see third image).

Scott D Davis
2006-04-29, 01:37 AM
It's really meant to be used in detailing, and the example I've seen is where a structural member "shows" the hidden beams beyond. It works great in that scenario. I think we are now using this tool in this example "out of context" from its original intent.

mmodernc
2006-04-29, 01:39 AM
Just tried it in R9 and it seems to work as it should.