PDA

View Full Version : Linking vs. Not Linking

jcoe
2006-04-28, 03:32 PM
Linking Revit projects/files is something that I have only experimented with but never used on a project - mostly because we have not had a project that lent itself to linking. However, we now have a project that I believe might lend itself to file linking but I am not sure if this is the best course.

Project Background:

The project consists of four different areas; 3 residential style group homes, a 4 classroom addition, a filed house, and some general renovations. The group homes are free-standing and new and a good distance away from the main campus. The field house is also a new free-standing building but clustered within the main campus.

I am setting the project up using worksets since there will be three of us working on the project, each responsible for a different area/building. I will also be utilizing scope boxes in the project.

Now for the questions:

Should I have the field house and group homes done in separate files and liked into a central file or should they be separate worksets within the file?

If the files are linked to the main file, are they detailed and documented in the main file or outside the main file?

I am leaning toward NOT Linking the files just from a comfort level and familiarity standpoint. I do not want to start something that I am unfamiliar with in such a large project ($13 Mil).

Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

dhurtubise
2006-04-28, 04:39 PM
Should I have the field house and group homes done in separate files and liked into a central file or should they be separate worksets within the file?
- I would use separate files

If the files are linked to the main file, are they detailed and documented in the main file or outside the main file?
- I would document in every files. Using the main file only for site purpose

mmodernc
2006-04-28, 11:01 PM
Keep addition in host file
as far as i can see if there are elements you want to end up looking joined you cannot use the join geometry tool to join linked geometry to the host geometry
you will have to use filled regions and detail lines