PDA

View Full Version : MasterFormat 16 Division vs. 2004

christo4robin
2006-04-28, 08:17 PM
Which to use?

Seems CSI is pushing the transition to 2004. Revit 9 just releasted the keynote file in 16 division format.

Seems like a fair amount of work to create/change the keynote file to 2004. But, is this the way of the future? Anyone know if the factory is creating a similar file for 2004?

16 Division is easy now, but how difficult will it be to move into 2004 later?

Anyone have thoughts?

GuyR
2006-04-29, 09:52 AM
Seems like a fair amount of work to create/change the keynote file to 2004.

Based on pdf I found via google. Saved as text. Fix errors in specification text!! A little python and you have the CSI2004 spec in Revit format as per pdf.

I've attached a zip with the script,input file, and pdf along with the revit file.You may want to delete the materials section. I just did this in the same format as the NZ text file. ie duplicate element definitions with an m in front of each node.

HTH,

Guy

christo4robin
2006-05-01, 02:14 PM
Guy,

1st, what is Python?

2nd, I had taken a similar approach beginning with the MF04 pdf. Works great (as you had demonstrated), but on the 16div file the factory made, someone took the time to call out hundreds of steel shapes, multiple thickness of gypsum board products, rebar sizes, cmu sizes and types, etc. Essentially, they put the detail into the file that it needed to be functional. I started to transfer some of this info into the MF04 file I had created, then realized it would be a daunting task - probably 12-20 person hours to make the transfer. So, then I began to consider whether to just use 16div for now.

So, anyone want to share the labor of getting the 16div content into an 04 file? I've already done steel.

Cheers!

GuyR
2006-05-01, 07:26 PM
1st, what is Python?

http://www.python.org

So, anyone want to share the labor of getting the 16div content into an 04 file? I've already done steel.

The point of the little python script was to show you that the way to do this is NOT by manual labour but by a little bit of programming..

And the way to do this is a mapping file.So if you can take the time to write the mapping file I'll generate the 04 file for you. The mapping file needs to list the top level mapping only. The children can be taken care of programmatically if the subcategories are the same. The text file needs 2 columns, one with the 16div number the other the 04 number it maps too. Assuming the subcategories map reasonably well then the task should be quite quick.

HTH,

Guy

christo4robin
2006-05-02, 02:30 PM
Guy,

Thanks for the info. I've done some homework, and tracked down a thorough map of MF95 to MF2004. Attached is a text file as you requested. Can you work a little magic? I certainly appreciate your willingness to help with this.