PDA

View Full Version : Level Datums in Linked Files

Joef
2006-04-30, 03:25 PM
I've asked this before and had no response so I'll ask again. I am linking 5 houses into a site plan and then creating elevations for each house from this file so that I have the terrain in the elevations. What I cannot figure out is how to keep the level datums in the right location. In the main house file I have them all lined up neat and tidy, but in the linked file they end up wherever. In the linked file I cannot pull them into a better graphic location, so I can only try to fix them in the main file. But they are fine in the unlinked file. So what gives. How do I control the location of the level datums in the linked file? Surely I am not the first person to try to do this. Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated.

Joe

cphubb
2006-04-30, 04:31 PM
Joe,

You really have to set the locations when you link the file. However every time you create a new section those will show. If you are using 9 you can turn off the levels from the linked files. The fastest way to do this is with a view template.
We use copy-monitor to import the grids and levels into our file and then you can control them normally and they will still update when the original is changed in the link.

Joef
2006-05-01, 12:18 AM
I am in big trouble now. These drawings have to be ready in the morning and I am stuck. I am now going around to the linked files and placing a level which denotes the average grade. Sometimes these are almost on top of the main floor datum. Problem is that I cannot control the location of the datum bubbles in the linked files so even if I move them in the linked file, in the host file they revert to overlapping each other. I tried the copy-monitor thing but it does not work. None of the elements in the linked file are selectable. Also: even if I managed to copy a datum from the linked file to the host file, the datum in the linked file is still visible. I would have to copy every single datum (since you cannot selectively shut off datums in linked files). Revit can sure take you from hero to zero in a big hurry.

I'd go off to AutoCAD,but what a nightmare scenario that is. Ever try to get a clean, accurate translation from Revit to ACAD? Impossible.

sbrown
2006-05-01, 01:28 AM
Just turn off the levels of each of your linked models. Go to view visibilty select your linked rvt, hit the plus and turn off the levels, then add new ones in you host. But the copy monitor should work.

Joef
2006-05-01, 03:16 AM
Thanks Scott, I'll give that a try. I'm not sure why the copy-monitor doesn't work. I tried it in a test file and it seemed OK. Nothing seems to work right when you are in a hurry.

iru69
2006-05-01, 03:40 AM
I'd second what Scott suggested about turning the levels off in the linked files and creating new corresponding ones in the host file (simply for the graphical representation). That's what I did when I ran into the same issue you're having.

Unfortunately, linked files in 8.1 were the absolute worst experience I've ever had in Revit.

Good luck!

Steve_Stafford
2006-05-01, 04:46 AM
The key to copy/monitor is to click the FINISH button on the options bar when you have multiple items selected. Then click Finish on the design bar when done. If you don't see the little "eyeball" next to the object then you missed a step. Probably too late now...

Joef
2006-05-01, 04:51 AM
Unfortunately, linked files in 8.1 were the absolute worst experience I've ever had in Revit.

Good luck!I will have to see if there are serious improvements in 9.0 before I ever do this again.

Joe

Joef
2006-05-01, 04:53 AM
The key to copy/monitor is to click the FINISH button on the options bar when you have multiple items selected. Then click Finish on the design bar when done. If you don't see the little "eyeball" next to the object then you missed a step. Probably too late now...Nothing would select in the linked file.

Steve_Stafford
2006-05-01, 01:09 PM
Just to review the process...

Tools menu > Copy/Monitor > Select Link
Choose the linked file
Click Copy from the Copy/Monitor design bar tab
Check box next to Multiple on the Options Bar
Select each Level (in the selected linked file)
(for Levels you need to be in Elevation or Section view)

Click Finish on Options Bar
Click Finish Mode on Design Bar

Joef
2006-05-01, 03:12 PM
Thanks Steve, I'll give it another try.