PDA

View Full Version : Export all Revit views to Single DWG File

matt.98118
2006-05-01, 04:02 PM
Is it possible to export all views from a Revit model (i.e. plans, sections, elevations, etc) into a single DWG file? One of the best things about Revit is that it stores everything in a single file location. I would like to be able to export all the Revit data into a single DWG file, if possible.

Can it be done?

sbrown
2006-05-01, 05:53 PM
You would have to place every view on a sheet, then export that sheet and check the box export each view/sheet as a single file.

matt.98118
2006-05-01, 06:23 PM
That was my initial thought. I'm sure it will work. The sheet would have to be pretty big to fit everything onto it I need to export.

Is there any other way to get everything out of Revit into a single CAD file? (i.e. schedules, plan views, elevations, sections, etc) - The whole shabang!

sfaust
2006-05-01, 06:36 PM
only if it's all on a sheet. Schedules will turn into just lines and text, not a smart schedule...

you could also export it seperately and copy/paste, but that could be quite time consuming depending on how many views there are

matt.98118
2006-05-02, 06:00 PM
only if it's all on a sheet. Schedules will turn into just lines and text, not a smart schedule...

you could also export it seperately and copy/paste, but that could be quite time consuming depending on how many views there are

I have tried this method several times in the past. Usually I export each elevation view to a separate drawing, then copyclip everything into a single dwg file. One of the problems I run into is the windows and doors in the elevations typically insert in weird locations when I copyclip them. I am not sure why this happens, but the windows/doors are not in their proper locations after copyclipping. FRUSTRATING!

Sounds like creating a large drawing sheet with as many views as possible in Revit is best, then exporting the entire sheet as a dwg to CAD. I will give it a shot.

Thanks!

patricks
2006-05-02, 07:39 PM
I have to ask the question, though, why are you wanting to export everything to CAD? Revit is just as adept as AutoCAD, if not more so, for producing construction documents.

eddy.lermytte
2006-05-02, 08:02 PM
I have tried this method several times in the past. Usually I export each elevation view to a separate drawing, then copyclip everything into a single dwg file. One of the problems I run into is the windows and doors in the elevations typically insert in weird locations when I copyclip them. I am not sure why this happens, but the windows/doors are not in their proper locations after copyclipping. FRUSTRATING!

Sounds like creating a large drawing sheet with as many views as possible in Revit is best, then exporting the entire sheet as a dwg to CAD. I will give it a shot.

Thanks!
Some time ago I send some sheets as a DWG file containing several views to a CAD user. They complained also some doors and windows were located at weird positions.
You can guess what they think ... Revit's to blame.
Can someone explain what's going on and how to avoid it.

matt.98118
2006-05-02, 08:22 PM
I get this same complaint from my structural engineer all the time. The only solution I have found is to export the individual elevation views from Revit into CAD. Then open each separate elevation drawing, select everything (except hatches), and explode. Then copyclip each elevation into a single CAD file. By doing this, windows and doors go where they are supposed to (drawback is a messy drawing with lots of little line segments). This process is rather time consuming and prone to error.

Does anyone have a different suggestion?

PS - I know Revit is the best product on the market for architecture, but try convincing every single consultant of that! AutoCad has a death grip on the AE industry.

dfriesen
2006-05-02, 08:52 PM
I have tried this method several times in the past. Usually I export each elevation view to a separate drawing, then copyclip everything into a single dwg file. One of the problems I run into is the windows and doors in the elevations typically insert in weird locations when I copyclip them. I am not sure why this happens, but the windows/doors are not in their proper locations after copyclipping.
I believe this has to do with the way Revit exports Families. Each and every instance of a family (windows, doors, columns) gets its own Acad block name, which is the Family name and an incremental number. Therefore, in one elevation dwg you've got "Window1", Window2" etc, and in another elevation dwg you've also got "Window 1" etc. When you paste one elevation into the other, the already defined blocks get re-used in the elevation. The origin points may be different, and thus, they go in all over the place.

The only solution I've found is to explode the entire drawing down to dumb lines. A real PITA.