PDA

View Full Version : Roof Overhang Issues (was Voids)

olson
2006-05-02, 05:43 AM
I am having a problem with a void. First and foremost how do you create one? i am trying to cut the structure and finish out of a shed roof overhang and leave the sheathing exposed and to see the beams.

dhurtubise
2006-05-02, 11:49 AM
In your case you will need to create an inplace family.
Go to Modelling - Create
Select Roof and pick OK
Give it a name
You are then in the Family Editor. Model your void using any of the tool
Use the Cut Geometry to cut your existing roof
Close your family

Rhythmick
2006-05-02, 01:59 PM
Another route you can take for your roof condition is to copy the existing roof to the same place so you have two roofs then edit the properties so one is the structure and the other is the sheating and adjust the sketch lines and heights accordingly.

lhanyok
2007-07-11, 07:11 PM
So I've spent the past couple hours trying the in-place roof void method mentioned here. Frankly, I'm about to go nuts - I can't seem to find a way to consistently select the voids when I'm editing the family. Sometimes I can select them just fine, other times I have to go into 7 different views before I can find it. Add into the scenario that I've just been working on 1 roof, and there are 5 more with varying slopes, and I don't know if I can handle it. I also have to show the rest of the team (all new to Revit) how to do it so that they can edit them later on. I'm not sure how smoothly that will go either.

I hadn't thought about creating two roofs. My first instinct was that I would have to worry about keeping control of 2 objects, but I guess that's what I'm doing anyway with the void family. I think I might give this method a shot.

Anyone have any comments about the pros/cons of one method or the other?

dhurtubise
2007-07-11, 07:22 PM
can you post an example.
A parametric sketch might be easier

lhanyok
2007-07-11, 07:46 PM
Here's the roof and in-place roof, along with a couple walls and the ref plane used for the workplane for the sloped void sweep.

lhanyok
2007-07-26, 08:00 PM
A parametric sketch might be easier

I'm finally ready to tackle this again after a week of vacation and a couple of days back avoiding this issue.

What exactly do you mean by a parametric sketch in this context (I understand the general meaning of it)?