PDA

View Full Version : Convert in-place family to standard family.

tomnewsom
2006-05-02, 11:26 AM
I've used an in-place family for a complex piece of geometry, but it now turns out that it needs to be repeated around the building. Copy and poasting it creates new in-place families with new names (so I'd have to delete and re-copy when making changes). Making a group just slows things down far too much (and makes editing the family a chore, or even impossible).

Ideally, I'd like to cut and paste the objects out of the in-place fmaily, and into the family editor for a brand-new .rfa. However, I "Cannot paste between project and family" Grrr! Is there something I'm missing, or am I doomed to redraw the whole thing?

gbrowne
2006-05-02, 12:18 PM
I think you are doomed to a redraw, but its always faster the second time round...and the wise heads always recommend doing a external family to an in-place. Of course, I may be completely wrong..

Shaun v Rooyen
2006-05-02, 12:18 PM
This is the simple reason I don't use In-place Families. You end up having to redo it in any case. Have fun!

david.sheffield
2006-05-08, 02:04 PM
I also stay away from in-place families. Did you try being in edit mode of the in-place family before you tried to cut & paste. That may work for you.

tomnewsom
2006-05-08, 02:07 PM
Nah, I've redrawn it now and - as is usual with these things - in a much better way (less solids involved)

A lesson learned there! They shouldn't even let you copy inplace families without a warning. Actually, maybe there is a warning and I just clicked through it....

Elmo
2006-05-08, 02:31 PM
Have you tried to save the family out by any chance ? If the family was created before Revit 7 you wont be able to save it out though.

archjake
2006-05-08, 07:59 PM
You can not directly convert an in-place family to a standard family. You can however open a template for a new family and EDIT the in-place family. While in the Edit mode you can copy geometry and linework from the in-place family and paste it into the new family.
Its not perfect, but you don't have to re-create geometry, etc. :)
Enjoy.

Mike Hardy-Brown
2006-05-09, 12:49 PM
Nice one Jake...
:beer:
I have sat with that frustration a few times, but never thought you could copy and paste from the edit mode to a family!!!!! Thanks