PDA

View Full Version : Australian content: Stair arrows and labels always point Up

Chad Smith
2004-05-24, 01:39 AM
This is a comment for the Australian users.

I am under the impression and have been for many years now and maybe I'm wrong, that in Australia, the standard for labeling stair directions is always up, even if you are at the top of a flight, the label and arrow should say up.

The theory is that when-ever you see a flight of stairs drawn on a drawing you instantly know that it is rising in the direction of the arrow. This means that if it is not labeled then you know which direction it is running, which is Up

Are there other Australian firms here that use that use that theory?

beegee
2004-05-24, 01:43 AM
That's correct in these here parts, Chad.

Chad Smith
2004-05-24, 01:52 AM
The only reason why I ask this, is that I think there needs to be some extra settings available for certain objects/commands <cough>Property Line dialog and tags<cough> depending on your geographic location.

funkman
2004-05-24, 04:04 AM
correct, we label up only, and I have only ever done this

ita
2004-05-24, 06:38 AM
Absolutely correct Chad, even the old imperial drafting standard from Oz Standards (now that goes back a long way!!) said that - and that was where I discovered that fact in the first place!!!

Nic M.
2004-05-24, 07:00 AM
In this part of the globe, the stair arrows allways go UP
So here's my vote

Roger Evans
2004-05-24, 07:41 AM
Up here too

I raised this point in 3.1 days & I still find it confusing

So it isn't just the UK then

Roger

Chad Smith
2004-05-24, 08:16 AM
Well then :shock: . I guess I should open this poll up to everyone except the US (not like I can restrict it anyway :wink: ).

Anyone who isn't in the US and is planning on posting a No, could you please post a comment so we know where you are from.

Currently it looks as though the US is backwards compare to the rest of the globe. Sorry fellow US Zoogers, that wasn't supposed to be a dig.

It looks as though geographic specific options may be required :?:

PeterJ
2004-05-24, 08:25 AM
Up, up and away.

We only ever show rising stairs.

Nickdp
2004-05-24, 08:37 AM
That's what I was taught - 1st year Architecture at Uni - Stair arows always go UP.

Roger Evans
2004-05-24, 09:11 AM
up + dn

reads the same if drawing is upside down ~ that's the reason I was given

so "up" is the standard to avoid confusion

kimheaver
2004-05-24, 09:17 AM
Ok, I'll be different.

I show whatever way the stairs are going.
On the ground floor plan I show UP, but on the 2nd floor plan I show DN.

Regards,
Kim

Damo
2004-05-24, 09:54 AM
up + dn

reads the same if drawing is upside down ~ that's the reason I was given so "up" is the standard to avoid confusion

Roger just bet me to this.

Always told to note 'UP' and up only.

If you have a stairs going top-to-bottom on your sheet, and note both 'up' and abbreviate down as 'dn' then, depending on which way you tilt you head, the stairs can go either way.