PDA

View Full Version : Sun Screen works sometimes, sometimes not!

Fishmonger
2006-05-02, 12:59 PM
We have a wall based sun screen created that inserts fine in a new project but will
not in the model file where we need it.
In a new project it will attach to any interior or exterior wall, but when we load it
into the project where we need it, or any other exiting project,at any level or in 3D, I get the attached error message and the instance fails.

It happened in 8.1, we've moved to 9 and it still errors out.
I've included the family.
Any thoughts or comments on what I'm doing wrong here would be appreciated.

Thanks

aggockel50321
2006-05-02, 01:48 PM
Did you miss ataching the family? I don't see it.

Fishmonger
2006-05-02, 02:08 PM
I'll re-send, I browsed to it and selected attach the first time.
Did you see the error message doc?
We've been having trouble with the upgrade to Office/Outlook 2003
filtering out .rvt files.

Oops, my bad, I forgot to hit the Upload button first time around.

eddy.lermytte
2006-05-02, 02:27 PM
fishmonger
Change the wall thickness in the Rfa, Revit will give already an constraints error there
Try to fix that.

Elmo
2006-05-02, 02:41 PM
Hi there, had a look at the file and I have to say that I'm a little befuddled. I load it into a new project and it wont work at all. The best thing for you to do is rather redraw it as just a Generic model and not wall based. You then only need to lock it to a wall. I'm not sure as to why it's not working cause it looks like you have done everything right.

Good luck.

eddy.lermytte
2006-05-02, 03:34 PM
have a look and try this one
(a rebuild of your screen and one of the two supporting beams, that's all.)

Fishmonger
2006-05-02, 03:56 PM
Thanks, Eddy.
That did the trick, you should have heard Tina scream (for joy),
this was one of her first attempts at families and she was pretty down about the errors.
What did you change about them?
I see you did make it a generic model rather than wall based, was that necessary or
a preference?

eddy.lermytte
2006-05-02, 04:43 PM
Congratulations Tina !
... it was already a generic wall based Rfa....I did not change that.
- geometry was constraint ed to the host wall in a manner the wall could not change thickness. So...Once you try to place the Rfa on project level Revit refuses ...
- the supporting beams came in trouble because the base sketch lines were locked on the wall surface. When the wall had a certain thickness , base sketch of the supporting beam became invalid > error. To avoid that > rebuild the supporting beam with a length greater than needed. As you can see a Void, locked at wall and existing Ref. Planes cuts it off as needed.