PDA

View Full Version : RS3 to ADT/ABS 2006

rmcelvain.103137
2006-05-03, 04:42 PM
Well, here's a problem that I wish I would have thought of when we were still in beta.

I've got a project starting up and would like to use RS3 instead of RS2. The hitch is that the architect is on ADT2006.

I can only save to ADT2007 objects in RS3. Has anyone ran into this yet? I wonder how easy it would be to add the ADT2006 export functionality back. I really think this is going to be a big issue.

Any other comments before I send this off to our friends at the Revit Shop?

Thanks,

david_peterson
2006-05-03, 04:59 PM
I'm going to be doing the same thing on a project that we sold as being full revit and ABS. This is huge. I never even thought that Adesk would do something that :screwy: . So now I guess I have to export to ADT 2007 (which I need to get installed on my machine) and then export to 2006 from there. Oh wait, I can't do that either. In case you haven't heard, that's one on the issues with ADT2007. There's about 8 posts reguarding exporting issues from 2007 to lower versions. This needs to be addressed and fixed. Sooner rather that later.
Well I just double checked RS2 and it allows you to kick it back to a 2000 format. I' guess I'm a little confused because in RB (current version) you can kick it back to a 2000 format. I haven't done this yet, so I may be missing something.
When you export to an acad file, what gets created, solids or planes? It'd be nice to have the option to select to export as ADT objects, or ABS object. I can see where this could get real messy real fast.
Any others have some input on this?

Steve_Stafford
2006-05-03, 05:24 PM
When I use File > Export > Cad Formats I see the following formats. I believe the format for 2006 is the same as for 2004?

david_peterson
2006-05-03, 05:32 PM
Well that makes me feel much better. 8-) . I don'thave RS3 loaded yet. Our workstations get rebuilt this weekend so I can't test this. Thanks for the info Steve. I'm guessing that you did this in RS3?

I believe you are also correct in saying 2004, 2005, and 2006 are all the same format. I'd still like the ability to say "export model only to ADT/ABS object" I haven't tried this function yet, but I will need to do this shortly. Any advice on this type of colaboration between RS3 and ADT/ABS?
Thanks

rmcelvain.103137
2006-05-03, 06:47 PM
When I use File > Export > Cad Formats I see the following formats. I believe the format for 2006 is the same as for 2004?
When you take it one step further though you'll notice that you don't have the option to select ADT objects .... ACIS Solids or polymesh only.

In RS2 (and RS3 to 2007) you have the Export as ADT and ABS Objects.

So, sorry David .... you're back to HUGE PROBLEM ....

The only option is to use RS2 and ADT2006 or use RS3 and ADT2007 ....

I still wonder if they can't put a really really really quick fix in RS3 though that would allow us to keep the ADT2006 version.....

david_peterson
2006-05-03, 06:54 PM
They still need to fix the export from ADT2007 as well.
Where is this "next step"? As I said I haven't tried this yet.

rmcelvain.103137
2006-05-03, 07:11 PM
David,

Can ABS2006 import IFC files?

Steve_Stafford
2006-05-03, 07:20 PM
Sorry my view was not 3D when I looked...the option is not there as Rick says. Seems like it makes the ABS bundle less effective without eh?

rmcelvain.103137
2006-05-03, 07:22 PM
I put in a Service Request and will update the thread with any news....

david_peterson
2006-05-03, 07:29 PM
I'm waiting to get my copy of 2007 which I should have monday. I'm not sure. But in RS 2, when you export to IFC, there wasn't much there to export.
In 2005 you can insert a .sat file, and .dxb file. Also .dxf. I suppose you could convert to max and insert that way. 3ds is also an option. I think the only answer here is to export to solids. From there you can convert the solids in ADT to AEC mass elements., and Mass Elements to walls (I think) But I can't imagine the about of data you just lost by doing it that way.
All I can say is Dooh.:veryevil:
This needs to be fixed as in yesterday. 335,000 sqft of building to coordinate, and I'm not doing it on paper. It's a good thing we sold ourselfs down stream on the RS boat. I guess we'll just have to shell out about $4-5 grand and buy a copy of Navis works.
Can they make this any more difficult?

rmcelvain.103137
2006-05-04, 01:06 PM
I put in a Service Request and will update the thread with any news....
Okay, so here's what I found out.

The Support Request folks confirmed the problem but could offer no solutions.
I talked to someone on the development team and received the following as a response:

It is a complicated problem as we use a piece of ADT 2007 in RST3 and ADT 2007 does not even save to ADT 2006
We do not have the ability to use the piece from ADT 2006 and 2007 at the same time. I have a couple of options at this point:

you can still export 3D dwg for geometry fidelity
you can export IFC and there is a plugin that your client can buy (I think it is around $500) that reads IFC files in ADT 2006
I just asked the ADT and Revit development directors if there is something we can do about it.

I looked around and found the following website http://www.inopso.com/. I got a couple of follow up from the person at autodesk and found another thread in the ADT forum that make me think that this is the only plugin available.

I'll post more when I test it out.....

david_peterson
2006-05-04, 02:31 PM
Rick,
I'm guessing that the vastly improved the ifc export option in RS3. If I remember right, in RS2, most of the structural members were unable to be exported anyway. That was most of the reason I didn't bother looking at the feature. I don't get RS3 for a week or so, so I'm hoping that you can tell me something about what is creating in the export to IFC.
Thanks

rmcelvain.103137
2006-05-04, 02:34 PM
David,

My experience with the IFC export in RS2 was just fine. We didn't find any problems in exporting out any of the elements that we wanted to. I will keep you up to date and when I create the IFC file I can send it to you off-line for testing purposes if you like.

david_peterson
2006-05-04, 02:37 PM
When I go to the export options tab/IFC options and look at the dialog box it says that structural framings systems are exported, but structural framing is Not Exported. The table also tells me that Structural foudations are not exported. What am I missing here.
I can make my own export, I'd be more interested in what, if any, issues you run into getting in to ADT/ABS2006.
Thanks