PDA

View Full Version : repeating wings of a building and options

Justin Marchiel
2006-05-03, 06:18 PM
We are in the prelim stages of a project where we have a building with 3 identical wings. I want to show options of how the wings can be assembled on the site. I have documented the "typical wing" and used groups for the typical suites.

Now to assemble the options for the wing configurations, i am thinking that it might be esiest to link the typical wing into a new project and copy it around and create design options as required. The reason for this is i dont want to create a group of the typical wing and then set it into the design options (from what i have read there seems to be a lot of slow downs with groups inside groups, and then i would have this wing group in several options, so it could really slow down when updating the wing group).

Does my idea of linking into a new project sound feasable? On a glance it seems to work well, but i am wondering about potential downfalls. We are in the skematic stage to i dont mind assembling the wings back into one project further down the road.

Thanks

Justin

greg.mcdowell
2006-05-03, 06:59 PM
Another post similar in concept to what you're doing was asking about how you could number doors (or rooms for that matter) across the linked files and if you could assign different door numbers (or room numbers) in multiple copies of the same linked file... in this case the linked file wasn't copied but rather relinked with a different name.

I don't know what the answer was but if you can't (and I have a feeling you can't) then that would be a problem later.

I know that ADT has the ability to do what I'm talking about if you use the Project Navigator so hopefully Revit can (will be able to).