PDA

View Full Version : what is the difference between a build, update, patch, extension, etc.

Justin Marchiel
2006-05-04, 03:31 PM
Someone tried to explain this to me before, but what is a build? Is it an entirely new copy of revit 9.0, so i would have to uninstall revit 9.0 and install the new build? Or is it more like a patch file that replaces certain files within revit?

From what i read, the build more or less fixes a problem within the program. there are no added features. So if the factory came out with an update (say 9.1) would you then unistall the build and then install 9.1, or would it be more of an upgrade file?

I come from adt where a patch file would be made available where you just replace a file to fix a software problem.

Thanks

Justin

Wes Macaulay
2006-05-04, 03:49 PM
Revit is developed in a holistic manner so when you get a new build, it's the whole program, fresh from the ground up. As long as it's the same version, Revit will automatically uninstall previous builds when you install a newer build.

When you get a new version (like 9.1) in can run alongside 9.0.

Revit isn't patched like Acad or ADT. Those programs have to be patched because they're bloatware.

Hope this makes sense!

Dimitri Harvalias
2006-05-04, 04:15 PM
Revit isn't patched like Acad or ADT. Those programs have to be patched because they're bloatware.

Careful Wes, they know where you live :shock:
I can just see all those talented programmers at Autodesk running to your front door screaming "the legacy users forced us do it that way, really! We could write lean, clean code if only we were given the chance"

Wes Macaulay
2006-05-04, 04:40 PM
<Chuckling> I'm so mean! But Revit is so lean. Why is Revit only 100Mb when they have to ship ADT in DVD format? :mrgreen:

Justin Marchiel
2006-05-04, 04:58 PM
Revit is developed in a holistic manner so when you get a new build, it's the whole program, fresh from the ground up. As long as it's the same version, Revit will automatically uninstall previous builds when you install a newer build.

When you get a new version (like 9.1) in can run alongside 9.0.

Hope this makes sense!

Ok this makes more sense. I dont know that this is something that anyone ever told me (same as adt but at least there is a communication station that allerts you when an update is available). I am glad that i look into these discussion groups, because i dont think the average user would ever know that the build was out there. Is there some other way that autodesk allerts users that builds are available?

Justin

Wes Macaulay
2006-05-04, 05:20 PM
I just got an e-mail regarding the need to download the new build. But normally users would want to monitor the forums or the download area to keep abreast of new builds.

Justin Marchiel
2006-05-04, 05:59 PM
I just got an e-mail regarding the need to download the new build. But normally users would want to monitor the forums or the download area to keep abreast of new builds.

I just got that email too. Coming from ADT (i know it is a different world) i was just trying to figure out if i would be notified of the build, and i guess my answer is yes. If i would have waited i would have got the email.

THanks

Justin

Wes Macaulay
2006-05-04, 06:09 PM
Well, that e-mail is a first, really! Normally you do have to keep your ears open! And sometimes a build gets released that has fixes you will benefit from, but is not considered critical.

iru69
2006-05-04, 07:31 PM
Well, that e-mail is a first, really! Normally you do have to keep your ears open!
It was be really nice if the Revit application itself checked for new updated builds (like Windows, iTunes, Firefox, etc.).

dhurtubise
2006-05-04, 07:42 PM
Small detail about build, make sure you check the skip content installation when installing it. It takes about 5 mins to run the installer.
If not you will find yourself installing all the library.