PDA

View Full Version : Changing an object in design options

Mr Spot
2004-05-26, 12:29 AM
I have a design set of two options. I've added an element to one of these options and i now want it to appear in both options. However, when i select the object and click add to option set it states it is already part of this set and cannot be added. Also, If i try to cut and paste the element into this option i get an error message which cannot be ignored stating the element references another element outside of this current option. I've tried unjoining it from all other elements and yet i still receive the message. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to get it into the other option???

Driving me mad... :banghead:

beegee
2004-05-26, 12:49 AM
Possibly this reply of Irwin's to another topic may help.

< SNIP>.
If an element is already in an option and you want the same element in another option you should create the new option by duplicating the old option. If, instead, you decide to copy the element later then use Copy to Clipboard, and Paste Algined | Same Place. By using the Same Place option in Paste Aligned, you assure that it goes to the right place without having to manually position it. Also, if you use Same Place then the software knows that the new element is related to the original, and it can use that fact to maintain relationships to other elements. (If you create the option by duplicating another option it also knows about the relationship.)

Also note that there is no need to change views. In a view whose visibility/graphics is set to Automatic for the option set in question, edit the option containing the element, select the element, Copy to Clipboard, edit the option into which you want to place the copy, Paste Aligned | Same Place.

Mr Spot
2004-05-26, 01:16 AM
I've tried all of that with no avail. One element has a message telling me i can't even copy it to clipboard and then no explanation so i need to find a way of changing the option without cut and paste. I can't duplicate the option either as the other option already has a substantial amount of information in it.

Mr Spot
2004-05-26, 01:52 AM
Thanks for the help.

I've managed to fix the problem by duplicating the option with the item i wanted and then cut and pasted the other elements from the other option. Seems like its more work than it should be. I find it strange there is an option to add something to an option yet not one to subtract something...?? :screwy:

adegnan
2004-05-26, 11:31 AM
Obviously (or sometimes not so obviously!) there are relationships anc constraints created that we are not really aware of. It is what makes te magic world fo Revit go 'round, I guess! But when those relationships are unknown, it causes quirks like this.

I assume maybe your object was in in-place family Mr Spot? If it was a standard family the easiest waamily herwise you may hyae been able to save the family herwise you may have been able to save the family, delete it, and then load the family and re-insert it in each option.

Not necessarily easier but certainly another way.

The leg bone is connected to the knee bone... and from there maybe we dont' know what else!

Nic M.
2004-05-26, 11:46 AM
...easiest waamily herwise you may hyae been ... :shock:

Don't type with your mouth full Abe :wink:

adegnan
2004-05-31, 12:02 AM
:shock:

Don't type with your mouth full Abe :wink:
Wow, I can barely comprehend what I intended to write! I think I said the easiest way would be to re-load the family; otherwise try to save the family out of the project and re-load it.

I think I was getting a typing-lag while Revit was keeping my processor busy doing something at the time I typed that!!