PDA

View Full Version : Schedules - Door Width Format

Steve_Stafford
2003-06-03, 03:03 PM
I've not found a way to display a double door like thusly: (2)3'-0" or 2 ea 3'-0". This is a pretty common request by folks so it would be very good to have the ability to display this way.

As a workaround, I could add a parameter to my door families to do this but it wouldn't be fun or very "parametric" since I'd have to add the info myself, right Mr. Conant?

David Conant
2003-06-03, 03:56 PM
Currently, a double door is regarded as one door. It will schedule as one instance. You could change the type names so that it reads correctly, but it will still total as a single instance. Please forward me a copy of a schedule showing how you would like double doors to list and total. Be sure the schedule has a mix of single and double doors so I can see how they all list out.

thanks,

Steve_Stafford
2003-06-03, 09:16 PM
Sent a pdf to your "official" email. We don't quantify (count) doors and show that info on a sheet for liability concerns.

A six foot double door should schedule as a "single door" but reflect two discreet leaves via the aforementioned formatting...this is "The world according to me" :D

Un-equal leaves would get a nice comment to that effect, aah the beauty of "dumb" text...just put whatever you want in there... :lol:

Thanks!!

mlgatzke
2003-06-04, 03:08 AM
I will typically place a note like " (2) 3'-0" x 6'-8" " in the Comments section of the schedule. However, I agree that it would be nice to have Revit create this automatically - either as a multiple-choice option or as a type parameter as text so we could fill in how they should schedule.

bclarch
2003-06-04, 01:45 PM
Our office also uses a single tag in plan for double doors with the following annotation in the schedule. 3'-0"x 6'-8" (PAIR)

phyllisr
2005-07-10, 06:12 PM
This is a seriously big thing for our firm and I am hoping this does not become a "make or break" thing during our pilot project evaluation. I found this thread because I assumed it was a simple problem that my neophyte user status made more difficult than necessary - just hoping to find a simple answer. I have been adding a few families and creating templates for our pilot projects and discovered this when shamelessly pilfering HM frame styles. (For consistency with OOTB stuff, I finally made my own but that's a different discussion and when I get them perfect, I will post the families.)

Anyway, these pilots include some possible partnering with a consultant who just committed to Revit Structural and a contractor who is seriously committed to BIM. This contractor self-performs some divisions (including doors) and is waiting with baited breath to see how much we can accomplish together in early budgeting. Hope to leverage the information in Revit more easily than in ADT.

If I cannot schedule a double door as (2) 3'-0" panels [or even a triple door as (3) 3'-0" panels], how can my contractor get a total count on the number of 3'-0" doors either from our model or exported to a database? If we do another 6-floor outpatient center and want to know how many solid core mahogany panels 36" x 84", how can I do this? Do I understand this is not possible?

Thank you in advance.
PBR

Steve_Stafford
2005-07-10, 06:34 PM
...This is a seriously big thing for our firm and I am hoping this does not become a "make or break" thing during our pilot project evaluation...

...Do I understand this is not possible?...Sure it is possible, just not automatically with the out of the box door families.

One approach is to modify your door families to use a Panel Width shared parameter instead of the Width parameter. If they use this value you can include it in a schedule to report the single panel size.

Then adding one other shared parameter to designate single or double door in a schedule can simulate the (2) 3'-0" by placing the field's columns next to each other. You'd enter (2) for double doors and "nothing" for singles... I'm sure there are a number of other approaches folks here can share.

phyllisr
2005-07-10, 06:40 PM
Thank you. Serious bummer that it will take so much effort behind the scenes but at least it's possible. This may be something I am willing to do and make totally transparent to our users in the interest of "fair" evaluations. But I will whine and complain and moan and groan that I have to do this. But so far, I have less whining and complaining with Revit 8.0 than ADT 2005.

Thanks again.
PBR

Mr Spot
2005-07-10, 08:46 PM
We typically format it as follows:

820+370 should read in the width parameter. SO in our schedule it would read Height, Width thickness:
Height Width Thickness
2040 820+370 40

HTH.

sbrown
2005-07-10, 09:07 PM
Thanks for bringing this up again. I believe I requested this at release 2.0. I had to re-create every door family with a panel width parameter and on single doors panel width = width and on double doors , panel width equals width / 2, so its not that bad to do, just a pain. Steve like you I always thought it to be industry standard to give the panel width, not the nominal opening width.

PaulB
2005-07-12, 09:09 AM
This is a related question, not regarding the scheduling of the double doors but regarding the actual double door families.

I have attached a double door family with equal width double doors. Both door panel widths are labeled "Width".

When I flex the doors they work as intended but when I load them into a project the "Width" becomes the width of the 2 panels combined instead of 1 ie. the door panels are now half what they should be. I can change them once they are loaded but thats not really the right method of working.

Am I missing something or do I need to change the labeling in the family somehow ?

Regards,

Paul

PS Can one of the moderators please move this to the Families thread, I obviously didn't look close enough at the thread title.