PDA

View Full Version : missing + in the project browser Revit 9

jarod.tulanowski
2006-05-09, 03:52 PM
My computer seems to loose the + signs in the project browser during the day. When I start it up they are there but after a while they disappear (see screen capture). anyone else have this problem. It is probably a video card issue.

Thanks in advance for any feedback

Bryan Sutton
2006-05-09, 04:04 PM
I have had this occur in previous ver. of Revit also. It usually happens in med. to lrg projects and I take it as a sign that Revit is getting pooped and needs a re-boot.
cheers
Bryan Sutton

david.kingham
2006-05-09, 04:49 PM
It's a windows issue not revit, you're running out of resources, if you close some other programs they will probably come back

Chad Smith
2006-05-09, 08:39 PM
I have it happen quite often, and my projects are tiny, usually under 10mb each. And I have plenty of system resources available too. I've reported it to Autodesk and they say it's a windows problem too, but I'm not entirely buying that just yet.

david.kingham
2006-05-09, 08:41 PM
Open windows explorer when it happens, if there are no plus's there either you know it's windows (possibly revit being a resource hog too)

Chad Smith
2006-05-09, 08:46 PM
I've never had it in any other application, including Windows Explorer, which is why I think it's a Revit problem.

lhanyok
2006-05-09, 09:22 PM
Open windows explorer when it happens, if there are no plus's there either you know it's windows (possibly revit being a resource hog too)

I've been having the same issue of losing + signs. This last time it happened I checked Windows Explorer and there were +'s there.

jarod.tulanowski
2006-05-09, 09:27 PM
same thing for me windows is ok but Revit lost the + signs

Mr Spot
2006-05-09, 09:27 PM
It's a windows issue not revit, you're running out of resources, if you close some other programs they will probably come back
There is no way to get them back other than to restart Revit. Freeing resources has no effect.

I don't find it that big a deal though, they still work its just the icon doesn't show...

Paul Andersen
2006-05-10, 01:08 AM
A couple of other things regarding this issue. I've only been able to lose the plus icons when running the windows xp style in the windows display properties (right click on your desktop -> properties -> appearance tab -> windows and buttons drop down). The windows classic style seems to be a little more stable with regards to this issue as I have not been able to reproduce it in this mode. It also seems to happen most often when I minimize Revit to work with some other programs or open a program like windows explorer on top of Revit although I never have been able to see the exact moment they disappear.

I was experiencing this issue some in RST2 and it seems to be happening a little more often now in RST3. The factory did say that windows was part of the issue and also said they had issue with some older nvidia video drivers and that updating your driver may help.

Not that it will save you any time over restarting Revit but you can usually refresh these by toggling to windows classic and then back to windows xp style although on rare occasion this can cause other display issues. Still probably best to just restart Revit if you want them back and maybe give windows classic style a shot (this coming from a guy using the windows xp style, silver scheme and just living with the disappearing plus icons as they happen).

Out of curiosity, has anyone using the Mac look on windows (FlyakiteOSX (http://osx.portraitofakite.com) or similar) run into this?

Wes Macaulay
2006-05-10, 05:44 AM
I run Flyakite at home and the office and I have the same problem from time to time, though it seems to happen more on the Radeon video cards in the office and very rarely on my FireGL card.

jarod.tulanowski
2006-05-10, 02:53 PM
Great reply Paul. I am using the windows xp style and I multitask quite often. I will give the windows classic a try. It really doesnt bother me that much, just making sure it is not my machine, or a left over conflict from beta testing.

ita
2006-05-12, 12:11 PM
Lost the icons and decided to check the windows explorer tree. Results below - screen print with Revit and Windows XP simultaneously.

jarod.tulanowski
2006-05-12, 12:13 PM
It is always easy to blame bill gates on everything though ha ha. I got the same result Ita

david.kingham
2006-05-12, 02:47 PM
Weird mine always disapeared in explorer too when this happened....

BillyGrey
2006-05-12, 03:12 PM
It happens in to me in Revit only, and quite often. I remember this bug in 6 (or 5.1?) also appeared frequently. First time I saw it in 9 I thought, "Oh well, it's back".

Phil Palmer
2006-05-12, 04:11 PM
This possibly seems to be an issue with the Microsoft XP O/S

http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=319740

Wes Macaulay
2006-07-06, 11:10 PM
You've got it Phil. KB319740 is the issue here, and it's an XP problem -- the new XP theming is the culprit:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319740

Download the hotfix here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?amp;amp;displaylang=en&familyid=9B5EDFC8-A4BB-4080-9063-6518166E2DAB&displaylang=en

I've installed it and will post results here. It was a near daily problem when working on large files.

ejburrell67787
2006-07-07, 07:24 AM
I also lose the icons at the bottom of the screen where you can change the scale, the detail level (course/medium/fine) etc etc... wonder if this is part of the same issue?
I'm going to try the hotfix anyway.

Wes Macaulay
2006-07-07, 07:41 AM
Ah... that's an 8.1 bug. Grab the divider between the browser and the drawing area and move it slightly. Did it come back?

ejburrell67787
2006-07-07, 07:58 AM
Ah... that's an 8.1 bug. Grab the divider between the browser and the drawing area and move it slightly. Did it come back?oh ok... I'll have to give that a go. (still have a big project in 8.1, everything else on 9 now)

Cheers Wes.

jarod.tulanowski
2006-07-07, 01:32 PM
darn that Bill Gates haha

ford347
2006-07-07, 02:22 PM
I am using FlyaKiteOS on my PC and I have the same problem from time to time, not a real big deal, but kind of irritating.

My problem is with the FlyaKiteOS, when I pull up the dynamic view dialog box when I need to control a camera or something, the tabs for the different views and the text in the buttons are sometimes not even there.....which means I can't even use the tool. Most of the time it's just the text that isn't there, but there has been a few times where I can't perform an operation.?? Wierd. Anyone else?

ejburrell67787
2006-07-07, 04:30 PM
You've got it Phil. KB319740 is the issue here, and it's an XP problem -- the new XP theming is the culprit:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319740

Download the hotfix here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?amp;amp;displaylang=en&familyid=9B5EDFC8-A4BB-4080-9063-6518166E2DAB&displaylang=en

I've installed it and will post results here. It was a near daily problem when working on large files.didn't work... :(

Wes Macaulay
2006-07-07, 10:18 PM
The hard-core workaround mention in the KB article is to switch to Windows Classic mode theming. Hehe... Mac interface, anyone? <retching> The new XP interface is dorky, and the old interface is at least "mostly dead"!

Batman
2006-07-08, 09:17 PM
didn't work... :(
Sigh here also; KB didn't work. Forced to desktop switch between classic and XP to get them to reappear. Tried sticking with Classic......'ancient' or 'seriously aged' would be more fitting.

And I don't think its a small issue, it all costs money....mainly ours.

Archman
2006-07-08, 09:37 PM
This excerpt is from the Revit 9 known issues document.

Subcategory Expansion Symbols are Occasionally Missing

• A Windows XP memory-leakage bug will occasionally disable the “+” symbol in Revit Building’s expandable category trees (e.g. Visibility Graphics or the Project Browser) making the top heading appear to have no subcategories. This is most likely to happen during high-memory-use Revit Building functions, such as spinning a large 3D model. Restarting Revit Building will typically resolve the problem. Microsoft has released two current Hotfixes that may correct this issue permanently: WindowsXP-KB319740-v5-x86-ENU.exe and WindowsXP-KB319740-v5-x86-Symbols-ENU.exe.

patricks
2006-07-10, 01:42 PM
I had the + signs disappear on me several times when working on our new version 9 project template. That means I was switching back and forth between two RTE template files, but both of them were under 7 MB. This also happened on my home computer, which is 3.2 GHz dual core w/ 2 GB RAM and Quadro FX540 graphics card, not at all a slouch when it comes to resources.

bowlingbrad
2006-07-10, 01:48 PM
....least "mostly dead"!

Wes, I can't take it! :lol: :lol:

I love that movie!

------- Humperdink, Humperdink, HUMPERDINK!!!

bowlingbrad
2006-07-10, 01:49 PM
"To blave.."

Wes Macaulay
2006-07-10, 04:07 PM
Hahahaha! Yeah, that was one of Billy Crystal's finer moments.

So -- switching from Classic back to Themed gets the + marks back? I'll have to try that...

david.metcalf
2006-07-10, 06:03 PM
I was never a fan of that funky XP theme. But then I hear a few folks upgrade AutoCAD and then ask how to get the old Rel. 14 look back.

Good Grief

Wes Macaulay
2006-07-16, 03:24 PM
Switching to Windows Classic theming and back to whatever you had before does fix the problem without having to restart Revit. The KB hotfix from Microsoft does not appear to have fixed the problem; I'm still eventually losing the arrows in the Project Browser even on small projects.

Joef
2006-07-16, 06:19 PM
Is this not something that should be fixed at the factory and not on each individual machine? Surely there is somebody there who is aware of this problem and can fix it so that thousands of Revit users don't have to waste their time turning things on and off. Has anyone actually sent this problem off to support?

patricks
2006-07-18, 09:42 PM
Is this not something that should be fixed at the factory and not on each individual machine? Surely there is somebody there who is aware of this problem and can fix it so that thousands of Revit users don't have to waste their time turning things on and off. Has anyone actually sent this problem off to support?

It's a Windows problem I think. I just lost my +'s and then switched to Windows Classic and they came back. However when I switched back to XP theme they went away again. I dunno.

Steve_Stafford
2006-07-18, 10:47 PM
...Is this not something that should be fixed at the factory...If it truly is Windows not being able to continue to display them after a certain memory usage occurs how does the Revit team fix that? Stop letting you work so you don't use that much memory?

A nice message from the Revit team says,
We're sorry, in order to continue to display those nice + symbols next to the project browser items we can't complete this operation, all circuits are busy. Please try again later. :smile:

Joef
2006-07-18, 11:33 PM
A memory leakage only affects these graphical elements and there is no way to make these elements so they are unaffected by this memory leakage. Interesting to ponder what other graphical elements are coming and going due to this leakage.

patricks
2006-07-19, 12:53 PM
Does anyone know if staying on the Windows Classic theme will help KEEP the +'s showing? Or will they eventually just disappear again? If they do disappear again then I assume that switching back to the XP theme would bring them back?

Paul Andersen
2006-07-19, 01:20 PM
FWIW as a test I've been running the Classic Theme for the last couple of months at work and have not lost the + icons even once in Revit Structure. With the XP Theme it was a daily occurrence.

rkitect
2006-07-19, 02:15 PM
FWIW, (and I didn't see this mentioned except very subtley once) when the +s disappear, you can still open the subcategories by clicking to the left of the category where the +s used to be. I'm sure most of you have realized this... but thought I'd mention it just in case some have not.

my $.02

dhurtubise
2006-07-19, 02:49 PM
I personnally set my station to run for performance and never experienced that.
My Computer - Properties - Advanced - Performance Settings - Visual Effects - Check Adjust for best performance

Paul Andersen
2006-07-19, 03:13 PM
I personnally set my station to run for performance and never experienced that.
My Computer - Properties - Advanced - Performance Settings - Visual Effects - Check Adjust for best performance
This is how I have my workstation at work set as well and they still disappear when running the XP Themes. Classic Themes . . . no problem. I still run the XP Theme at home as I have not had this issue on my personal workstation. My home workstation has the above setting set at the Windows XP Pro default of: Let Windows choose what's best for my computer.