PDA

View Full Version : Revit and ADT - seemless?

CADMama
2006-05-09, 07:40 PM
can you bring an adt model into revit and it not be 2D?

Steve_Stafford
2006-05-09, 07:59 PM
When ADT files are saved with Proxygraphics set to 1, ON... the proxygraphics will show up in a Revit file after importing it. Any nested xref's that are attached will come along assuming they also have had proxygraphics saved.

CADMama
2006-05-09, 08:02 PM
When ADT files are saved with Proxygraphics set to 1, ON... the proxygraphics will show up in a Revit file after importing it. Any nested xref's that are attached will come along assuming they also have had proxygraphics saved.
Does it always show up flat? I want the model to show up.

Steve_Stafford
2006-05-09, 08:05 PM
No you should see the 3D building elements as long as the proxygraphics are saved.

greg.mcdowell
2006-05-09, 08:09 PM
You'll need to save the ADT file in a 3D view also... but instead of using ProxyGraphics I'd recommend using Export to AutoCAD from the File menu (again, in a 3D view).

irwin
2006-05-10, 02:20 AM
Also make sure that "Current view only" is NOT checked in the Import/Link dialog in Revit. Make sure that when you import, the active view in Revit is not a drafting view or sheet.

sbrown
2006-05-10, 01:12 PM
There is a great whitepaper on this and the trick is to set up 2 viewports in adt, one with teh 2d view you want and one with the 3d iso, then do the export to acad and you will get a dwg file with 2 block names one is aecobject... and its is the 3d, one is aecobject.... and its the 2d all the layers are there also so you can either turn off the 3d or the 2d by turning off the block layer. or all individual layers are still controllable using the various layer names.

CADMama
2006-05-10, 03:15 PM
Man oh man - all these rules! Are they written down somewhere?

Can someone send me a link to that white paper?

ron.sanpedro
2006-05-10, 04:10 PM
Man oh man - all these rules! Are they written down somewhere?

Can someone send me a link to that white paper?

Donnia,
at some point excess rules make me start to think the answer is somewhere between "kindof" and "no, not really" ;) At least in the context of real world use.

And once you have that ADT "model" in Revit, what useful work can you actually do with it? Can you convert an ADT wall to a Revit wall, etc? I know Revit 9 made improvements in what you can do with a SketchUp model (tho it still seems like we will just build in Revit and render in SketchUp) so perhaps 9 also improves on converting ADT objects to Revit objects?

Best,
Gordon

sbrown
2006-05-10, 05:19 PM
You are exactly right. They only can be imported into each other graphically, there is not intelligence in the elements on either side.

Andre Baros
2006-05-10, 07:48 PM
I've never tried it (because my religion won't let me use ADT) but I've heard that it is possible to export an IFC file from ADT and then import it to Revit and get an intelligent model... works both ways I think.