PDA

View Full Version : Flying Balusters

msg4amer
2006-05-09, 10:36 PM
How can I attach the balusters and the newel to the landing?
See attached

Scott D Davis
2006-05-09, 11:34 PM
The sketch for the railing will have two co-linear line segments. One represents the railing sloped over the stairs,m and the next represents the flat area over the stairs. When in sketch mode, you can highlight the piece of line over the landing, and look in the options bar...theres an option for "sloped' or "flat" or "by host".

msg4amer
2006-05-10, 04:19 AM
I already have the railing section over the landing set to flat - as you can see in the picture. I also tried lowering the height for that section of the railing - but all that did was lower the handrail and kept the base height of the balusters the same.

Elmo
2006-05-10, 06:07 AM
Simple question. Have you selected the baluster and set the host for it?

msg4amer
2006-05-10, 05:35 PM
I figured out what I was doing wrong. I created the landing using the floor tool. Therefore, when I set stair as the host for the railing it did not recognize the landing. I modified the stair to incorporate the landing and voila! - no more flying balusters.

This does bring up the question, however, on how one can create a continuous railing that transitions from a stair to a landing/floor (not created by the stair tool).

The one way I know how to do this is to create two separate railings - this way you can set the host for each one separately. The issue with this method is you can't edit the joins between the two.