PDA

View Full Version : Moving the Workplane Grid

Scott D Davis
2004-05-30, 01:02 AM
Did you know that you can move the workplane grid to relate to the geometry you are working on?

Simply select the Move Tool, then pick the intersection of two grid lines, then pick the point in your model where you want the grid to relate to.

Now you can set the Workplane Spacing in the Options bar to your working units.

For instance, if you want to see how a CMU unit spacing might affect your CMU wall, set the Workplane Grid to 8" (in the Imperial world, of course) and then move the grid to relate to your wall. Now when you place doors and windows in the CMU wall, you can be sure they fall on the block module.

Wes Macaulay
2004-05-30, 04:06 AM
No way, mate. Cool tip... and I was just talking about this to one of our clients. Impeccable timing!

irwin
2004-05-30, 08:12 PM
Did you know that you can move the workplane grid to relate to the geometry you are working on?

Simply select the Move Tool, then pick the intersection of two grid lines, then pick the point in your model where you want the grid to relate to.
Note that in order to do this, you must first select the workplane grid. Normally you select the grid by selecting the boundary of the rectangle. But what to do if the boundary is off the screen? There are two other ways to select the grid:
- In the Tools menu, choose Work Plane | Select Work Plane Grid.
- Pick the Plane button in the toolbar to bring up the Work Plane dialog. Don't change anything in this dialog, just press OK. That will select the work plane.

One other thing, in case anyone wasn't aware of this. Once you select the work plane, you can use the Rotate command to rotate it. When a rotated work plane grid is visible it affects various operations, such as snapping and rectangle sketching.

Wes Macaulay
2004-05-31, 06:06 AM
Wow. Thanks for fleshing this out, Irwin. It's stuff like this that I have to get into the heads of Revit users in our city. It's all good...

Wes Macaulay
2004-05-31, 06:07 AM
Hey! Someone's got to get Irwin's real handle of "Revit Founder" in there. Gotta give credit where it's due...

adegnan
2004-05-31, 12:34 PM
Hey! Someone's got to get Irwin's real handle of "Revit Founder" in there. Gotta give credit where it's due...

Yes, but I see he is already a "splendid one to behold" while you and I are just "headed in the right direction"!