PDA

View Full Version : Drafting question

jcdecastro
2006-05-10, 08:48 PM
In laboratories, and I guess in residential work, we have peninsulas (or kitchen islands) that need outlets to show up in interior elevations.

How does everybody handle this issue when you need to place an outlet (or a component that is usually wall based) somewhere other than on a wall?

We are thinking about having a nesting outlet or two with on/off and distance (instance) parameters on the peninsula.

We will have atleast 50 elevations like this.

Jose'

sbrown
2006-05-10, 08:57 PM
just make a family that is not wall based for these applications.

Andre Baros
2006-05-10, 09:05 PM
Search in the families section for my example of an Enhanced Electrical Family
I think this may help: http://forums.augi.com/search.php?searchid=471550

I have an electrical family which you place in plan and shows correctly in elevation. We created two of each family, one which is wall based and one which is not for precisely this purpose. We did not nest them in the millwork but simply place them in plan. Height is a type parameter so if you create a "millwork" type each will be the same height. Electrical families have a maximum number of times which they can be nested to they don't work correctly nested into millwork (unless you nest each sub-component independently into the millwork).

In the past I've also created an end panel for my millwork which was a 3/4" wall just to host outlets etc. Just like you would build it, the millwork is a series of boxes with a panel at the end.

Both ways work but having an outlet which is not wall based is more flexible. It also means that you have to make sure you lock your outlets or they get left behind when your millwork moves.

davidcobi
2006-05-10, 09:31 PM
Maybe you can create a new face based generic model. Then switch the family category to electrical fixtures.

Andre Baros
2006-05-10, 10:01 PM
I think the new faces based models were designed for exactly this purpose (Thanks Brian) and I would probably use that going forward, but I haven't tried it yet and don't want to remake working families.

jcdecastro
2006-05-10, 10:13 PM
Great stuff, especially the outlet family.
I will try the face based.

Thanks