PDA

View Full Version : Scheduling Doors and their walls

dbaldacchino
2006-05-12, 04:33 PM
Is it possible to schedule doors and the walls they are inserted in all in one schedule? This would come in really handy when checking if the right HJS details are being used in large projects. I can't seem to find a way of doing this.

aggockel50321
2006-05-12, 05:13 PM
No, but maybe this would work for you.

You could add the same project parameter to both the doors and walls.

If you made the parameter an integer, for instance, you could then select a wall & all the doors in it, & give the items a unique #. Then you could sort each schedule by the parameter, place each schedule on a sheet (or tile the two schedule views on the screen), and do the check there.

dbaldacchino
2006-05-12, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the tip :) It would be great if you could schedule the wall type a door is inserted in. Or a window...that way you can easily tell if your details are right.

Justin Marchiel
2006-05-12, 06:32 PM
No, but maybe this would work for you.

You could add the same project parameter to both the doors and walls.

If you made the parameter an integer, for instance, you could then select a wall & all the doors in it, & give the items a unique #. Then you could sort each schedule by the parameter, place each schedule on a sheet (or tile the two schedule views on the screen), and do the check there.

would there be a way to have the wall width make the door frame schedule as a certain type? What i mean is that if the door is in a 2x4 wall it would be door frame type a, but if it where in a 2x6 wall in would be type b?

Would this be some sort of shared parameter with a formula in it?

Thanks

Justin

dbaldacchino
2006-05-12, 06:48 PM
Well, the problem is that it seems like the door doesn't know what wall it's in....well I think it does, but that parameter is not exposed for scheduling.

To do what you're saying, you'd have to do a workaround of some sort, similar to what Andrew suggested. What I would REALLY like is some sort of a key schedule that would contain columns for the Head, Jam & Sill details, Wall Type/Family and Door type/Frame Type. Then, once you define what the details are for the frame/wall combination in this "matrix", your door schedule would build up accordingly. It would eliminate a huge hassle in the documentation process.

Justin Marchiel
2006-05-12, 08:08 PM
but really there would be no way to have the wall tell the door which type to be? It would still have to be a manual process?

Thanks

Justin

dbaldacchino
2006-05-12, 09:01 PM
Yes, I would think so...that's how I handle them right now. I have various types of door/frame combinations (door family with a nexted frame) and I place the correct combination (flush door with HM frame w/ 4" head in a CMU wall). These will show correctly in an elevation view, render with the right materials in 3D, and will schedule with the correct frame type/material and door type/material. The door and frame info are type parameters, with glazing being an instance parameter.

For complex frames with windows, I have door families with no nested frames. I've been creating curtain walls/storefront, changing one panel to a wall panel (special 41/2" thick wall for storefront or 7" cur CW) and then insert the doors in it. The frame type/material in that case are instance parameters of the door.