PDA

View Full Version : Revit/Quickbooks Interference

Mr Spot
2006-05-14, 11:34 PM
Well for nearly a year i've grinned and bared this issue. Usually it's occurred on a pc that was due for a reformat anyway so i've just used this issue as an excuse and rebuilt pc's when they have this issue.

For those of you not familiar with the issue

I've got a really strange problem, since I installed this build of Revit over the holidays, now when I start "Quickbooks Timer" the Revit installer starts. If I then cancel the install twice, the quickbooks timer starts.

I suspect a registry error but I'm not sure what?

Any clues or suggestions on how I can fix this, I've tried reinstalling the quickbooks timer which went fine but the revit installer still starts when I try to start the timer.

originally posted by Kim.

Now i've had it occur on a brand new pc, which i certainly don't plan on rebuilding.

All programs are always installed under the domain administrator login.

Uninstalling/Re-installing of both programs does not resolve the issue, and the issue does seem to be somewhat random in when it occurs, but it is definitely consistent throughout our office. It has occurred on 6 computers since i've been here.

Letting the installer run will cause revit's licence to become corrupt and have to be installed.

I've filed this with Autodesk Support but the Asia Pacific support department still seems to be down or something?

Does anyone have a solution to this issue?

Thanks.

PS. We are using Quickbooks Timer 2003.

Chad Smith
2006-05-15, 02:14 AM
I use Quickbooks Lite 2004 at home, and can't say I've had any problems. But, maybe I'm just lucky.

I once had the Microsoft Windows Install Cleanup Utility (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=290301) recommended to me for an installation problem I was having, maybe it might help your problem, even thought it doesn't sound like it directly an install issue? By the sounds of things, it might be worth a look.

BWG
2006-05-15, 02:15 AM
I have been having this problem with Acad 2007/Revit 9. Sometimes I can be in a program, click on a command and the installer for Acad will pop up looking for acadfeui. It was looking for it in the temp directory under local settings, so Friday, I went into the temp directory and erased everything. I will see if I am still having this problem this week or not.

Damo
2006-05-15, 10:53 AM
Chris,

I've been using both Revit (from 6.0 to 9.0) and QuickBooks (QuickBooks Pro 2003 & 2005) on the same PC for a few years without any problems with either.

The only variations I would note with your post are: (1) I'm using the full programme, not the timer only function, and (2), it's the UK version of QuickBooks.

HTH

tc3dcad60731
2006-05-15, 05:07 PM
We use Quicken Premier SB and have had no problems to speak of yet.

Mr Spot
2006-05-15, 09:53 PM
I once had the Microsoft Windows Install Cleanup Utility recommended to me for an installation problem I was having, maybe it might help your problem, even thought it doesn't sound like it directly an install issue? By the sounds of things, it might be worth a look.

I've tried this and unfortunately doesn't resolve the issue.

The only variations I would note with your post are: (1) I'm using the full programme, not the timer only function, and (2), it's the UK version of QuickBooks.

I'm pretty sure its specific to the timer...

It also appears to be something to do with the order in which the programs are installed. Main problem is that once the problem starts I don't know how to get rid of it. I've finally received a reply from Autodesk regarding by support request too, which is a good sign.

Thank you for choosing Autodesk Subscription. Your Support Request has been escalated to the Autodesk Support Operations team for resolution. We will notify you immediately by email whenever your Support Request is updated. We appreciate your patience as we work to resolve your inquiry.

Lets hope they have some insight.

:)

Thanks again.

Mr Spot
2006-05-16, 01:00 AM
I have recently spoken with Autodesk support and they have advise:

As spoken via our telecommunication, I seek to once again extend our apology for the inconvenience caused by the conflict/incompatibility between Revit and Quickbooks.

The situation that you have described is a known one, and we have since lodged this Change Request with our developers for rectification. I wish ensure you, that your concerns are valid, and of great importance to Autodesk.

I have been informed by our Development team that this issue would be attended to in the future releases of Revit, and that we will monitor its outcome closely. Should there be a new build that would address this issue, We will keep you notified as soon as possible via email.

Hopefully it will make it into the next release of Revit; til then will just have to advise people to hit the cancel button twice and if they forget occassionally re-install revit...

I hope someone finds this information useful. :)

scott.57550
2006-05-16, 01:32 PM
I am having something of a problem as well.
I am trying to run the full QB Premier and the new Timer. When I initiate the timer I get an error message that all resources are used up and to close some programs, when nothing is running.

I hope ADesk can get this resolved on the next build. I am contacting QB as well.

Regards,

BWG
2006-05-16, 05:48 PM
Actually, I am still having the problem, but it is with Intuit Master Builder accounting program, so, it is not limited to QB. I get into the program without a problem, but as soon as I click on a module link, it appears.