PDA

View Full Version : New Build install process

ron.sanpedro
2006-05-16, 05:12 PM
Is there a whitepaper or some other kind of documentation on the proper upgrade process?

I have the original 9.0 on my machine, and I have started the install of the new build, skipped the content install, and I get to the Install Licenses part, and I have to redo all my network server info. It seems to me that the install SHOULD see that there is an older version and just install the fix. Ideally a silent install, that just fixes what is there, with minimal muss and fuss. I am hoping there is a way to do this and I just haven't found it. If there isn't and installing a new build means completely redoing the entire install process, then I for one vote for patches. At a bare minimum I should be able to reacreate my network install with the exact same settings I had before. As far as I can tell, now I have to document all my settings, recreate my network install based on my notes, then run the install on machines. And I am still unclear how I could get a GPO based Revit install to "update" in anything like an automated manner.
So, "My kingdom (ok, fifedom) for a whitepaper!"

Thanks,
Gordon

dhurtubise
2006-05-16, 07:38 PM
Not sure what you eactly mean but here's how i personnaly do it.
For a new RELEASE
1 - Install on a machine WHITHOUT installing the content
2 - Copy the content to a share server
3 - Modify the ini file to point to that server location

For a new BUILD
1 - Install on a machine WHITHOUT installing the content

That's it. Takes about 2 mins to install (Except sometimes for help files)