PDA

View Full Version : DB Stairs - Make it so the treads are variable

Rico
2006-05-16, 05:45 PM
Hey Chris ....

Remember that DB of the stairs in plan that you made? (I'd post the link but extra work is not good for my torn Thumb Ligament - long story)

I'm trying to make it so that the treads are variable (i.e.: 11" tread can be changed to 14" or 16")

Short of vis states .... what do you opine of the possibility of creating soemthing like that?

The DB stretches in total length - arraying the treads accordingly - and also stretches (automatically?) depending on what tread length you input. I believe this is not possible .... but I'll try to get your input before I make my final judgement ....

Chris.N
2006-05-16, 05:51 PM
Rico, i do believe this is one for the category "Adjustable Array" mode.... not thoroughly tested, so i'll give some thought and trials.

Chris.N
2006-05-16, 06:59 PM
Hey Chris ....

Remember that DB of the stairs in plan that you made? (I'd post the link but extra work is not good for my torn Thumb Ligament - long story)

I'm trying to make it so that the treads are variable (i.e.: 11" tread can be changed to 14" or 16")

Short of vis states .... what do you opine of the possibility of creating soemthing like that?

The DB stretches in total length - arraying the treads accordingly - and also stretches (automatically?) depending on what tread length you input. I believe this is not possible .... but I'll try to get your input before I make my final judgement ....~sigh~ curiosity killed the cat..... (in this case, cat = billable job time)

Try this Rico, is this what you're looking for? Unfortunately, vis states still has important roll, altho the typical drafter wouldn't know that they aren't picking vis-states....

oh, and to correct the weirdness when switching sizes after stretching the run, just click and re-set the current run-node. resetting the block should not be necessary.

Rico
2006-05-17, 12:37 PM
~sigh~ curiosity killed the cat..... (in this case, cat = billable job time)

Try this Rico, is this what you're looking for? Unfortunately, vis states still has important roll, altho the typical drafter wouldn't know that they aren't picking vis-states....

oh, and to correct the weirdness when switching sizes after stretching the run, just click and re-set the current run-node. resetting the block should not be necessary.
cool. thanks chris. i'll have a look see and let you know once i get a chance to look at it. (late morning) ;-)

Rico
2006-05-18, 07:53 PM
CHRIS!!!

I've got this DB!!!!

It's a 180%%D Stair!!!!

Like we PMd about !!!!

It almost works!!!!

But the first tread is ALWAYS 11"!!!!

This is not good!!!!

I want it to be variable!!!!

Got any ideas !?!?!?!?!!

Thought I'd try for "urgent" tone. ;)

Chris.N
2006-05-18, 08:03 PM
Rico, you deleted the Lookup table! :shock:

that was the secret to the first one. it coordinates tread width setup AND visibility states..... and the vis-state node setting should be '0' (not used)

Rico
2006-05-18, 08:08 PM
Rico, you deleted the Lookup table! :shock:

that was the secret to the first one. it coordinates tread width setup AND visibility states..... and the vis-state node setting should be '0' (not used)
Chris. I'm having one of those "dummy" weeks. I don't understand what the difference is or how the lookup enhances the block. You've explained it to me once or twice, but it does not compute.

Does compute, does not compute. Danger Chris Robionson! Danger! Brain flailing wildly!

Chris.N
2006-05-18, 08:48 PM
Chris. I'm having one of those "dummy" weeks. I don't understand what the difference is or how the lookup enhances the block. You've explained it to me once or twice, but it does not compute.

Does compute, does not compute. Danger Chris Robionson! Danger! Brain flailing wildly!if you dblchk the straight stair, you'll notice that the vis node is turned off. check out the lookup action and see how i got that to work. the lookup pre-emptively stretches the base tread width and sets the proper vis state/ parameters at the same time. you need the lookup table to pre-coordinate what you want the block to do.

hmmmm, i always thought more along the lines of 'Wiggy'.... :?

(quick! get back to being serious before MES see you!!!) ;)

Rico
2006-05-18, 09:11 PM
if you dblchk the straight stair, you'll notice that the vis node is turned off. check out the lookup action and see how i got that to work. the lookup pre-emptively stretches the base tread width and sets the proper vis state/ parameters at the same time. you need the lookup table to pre-coordinate what you want the block to do.

hmmmm, i always thought more along the lines of 'Wiggy'.... :?

(quick! get back to being serious before MES see you!!!) ;)
ok, that makes sense. i just figured it out. how in the world did you come up with THAT idea? That's pretty complex, man.

Chris.N
2006-05-18, 09:22 PM
ok, that makes sense. i just figured it out. how in the world did you come up with THAT idea? That's pretty complex, man.cool! doncha love it when you get the 'click'?
i think it was the Fentenol and Vercet.... :confused: actually, i stumbled on it wondering if a lookup could toggle vis-states along with the other stuff.... that way you can't get confused having 2 similar nodes to pick from if you turn the vis node off. ~shrug~

Rico
2006-05-18, 09:36 PM
cool! doncha love it when you get the 'click'?
i think it was the Fentenol and Vercet.... :confused: actually, i stumbled on it wondering if a lookup could toggle vis-states along with the other stuff.... that way you can't get confused having 2 similar nodes to pick from if you turn the vis node off. ~shrug~
well let that be a lesson to everybody: his eyes may be googly and rolly, but behind that vacant stare and lazy eye lies the mind of a GENIUS!

Chris.N
2006-05-18, 10:47 PM
well let that be a lesson to everybody: his eyes may be googly and rolly, but behind that vacant stare and lazy eye lies the mind of a GENIUS!:Oops: ......

Rico
2006-05-19, 10:58 PM
:Oops: ......your googly eyed smiley makes me laugh, man.

Rico
2006-05-19, 11:14 PM
Chris! I did it!

I made the 180 Stairs work! I took the day off work todeay,m so I will post it on wednesday (long weekend)

Chris.N
2006-05-22, 02:03 PM
Chris! I did it!

I made the 180 Stairs work! I took the day off work todeay,m so I will post it on wednesday (long weekend) ~sigh~ Rico, quit being a DBlock Tease!!! ;)

Rico
2006-05-24, 03:03 PM
~sigh~ Rico, quit being a DBlock Tease!!! ;)
Should I show and share the ONE I have so far? Or should I wait till they are ALL done? ;)

Chris.N
2006-05-24, 03:22 PM
Should I show and share the ONE I have so far? Or should I wait till they are ALL done? ;)well, since the Surgeon General discourages 'binging', let's have'm in small servings....

Rico
2006-05-24, 03:38 PM
well, since the Surgeon General discourages 'binging', let's have'm in small servings....
all right. check the sharing thread around lunch time or somewhere there around.