PDA

View Full Version : Topography Using Imported cad files

aaronwsmith
2006-05-17, 02:39 AM
I'm looking at using a dwg cad file to make a Toposurface, but I'm unsure how to do so, i have the engineers site plan with all the contours etc. so where do i start?

Mr Spot
2006-05-17, 02:46 AM
Import your dwg at the correct scale making sure current view only isn't ticked.

Then start your topography tool, click use imported, select your dwg and then pick the layer that the contours are on...

And you done, do any refining that is needed and finish sketch.

HTH.

aaronwsmith
2006-05-17, 02:58 AM
I did that and it attached to the imported file, which is all well and good! but for some reason their are no contours, its just flat! what the?

Dimitri Harvalias
2006-05-17, 04:42 AM
Does the CAD file contain 3D data? Open the CAD file in ACAD and check the line properties or view from a side elevation to be sure. If the file is flat you can move lines or add points along the contours to quickly get a 3D file. Make sure the point value (PDMODE and PDSIZE, if memory serves) is a cross hair or circle large enough so Revit can find the point.

Joef
2006-05-17, 05:07 AM
If you only have contours and they are flat, you may have to select each line and move it the appropriate distance in the "z" direction. It doesn't really take all that long if your contours are polylines. You might just ask the engineer to send you a non-flat file. Often they send flat files because they think you don't want the 3d information.

Joe