PDA

View Full Version : Processor Upgrade from an Athlon64 3500+ to an Opteron 146 (both Socket 939)

Ogre
2006-05-17, 02:29 PM
I am thinking about upgrading my processor from an Athlon64 3500+ to an Opteron 146 (both Socket 939)...Someone told me that I would need to re-install all my software after I did that...Is that true??? If it is, that would be a beating:banghead:...Thanks for the help...

noozybkk
2006-05-17, 04:21 PM
I stand to be corrected, but I don't think you will have to do anything.

I recently upgraded from P4 to AMD Athlon 64x2 which obviously needed a new motherboard also. I was able to connect my exsting IDE disk to the new board with no problems.

Not quite the same situation as yours, but I don't see a problem, unless there is something unusual with the Opteron.

paddymackey
2006-05-19, 10:16 AM
Generally the only time you need to reinstall your software is if you change your motherboard. There are times when you can get away with it, mainly when going from an Intel chip to something else (as Noozy above found out) but generally the drivers that are left over from non intel chipsets cause havoc when changing motherboards. But seeing as you're only changing processor, you shouldn't have a problem.
Only thing to do is to check the motherboard bios to make sure that it is compatible with the opteron. If it isn't you'll have to update it before it all works.