PDA

View Full Version : Eaves will not line up even though align eaves was used.

DoTheBIM
2006-05-17, 03:49 PM
Anyone up to a challenge? At least this newbie thinks it is a challenge. Why does this happen?...

When I have all the same pitches all is fine. as soon as I add a second pitch that is different my eaves are off by a little... in this case it was a 1/4". If all the slopes are the same it's works fine. To us this is important as we will be creating shop drawings for stuff like this and if it's not caught early it will get built wrong. Seems like a bug to me, but I'm not a programmer. See attached rvt file if you'd like to take a stab at it.

sbrown
2006-05-17, 09:22 PM
You must have a diff. overhang on one side vs the other.

Justin Marchiel
2006-05-17, 09:48 PM
The problem is that your roof is being cut plumb. Think about a rafter that is on a slope. the greater the slope, the more of a "cut" is created. Since you have one roof at 7-1/2" and the other at 6" you have different height "rafters" at the ends of the roof. in this case the difference in the cut is 1/4". I am not sure how the eaves align tool works, but it appears taht it is taking the alignment from the 6" slope and not the 7-1/2" slope, so then you get a miss alignement. You can also notice that because of this miss alignment your ridge is not in the centre of the roof.

Not really an answer on how to fix it, but at least i gave you the reason they don't line up. hopefully someone else can come in and tell you how to get it to work. I use 2 roofs, and join them together and it worked fine.

Justin

DoTheBIM
2006-05-18, 12:07 AM
Yep, I've since figured out where the difference is. I have it sent in to support to see what they say. So far the response was that I should draw a ref plane accross the bottom of the eave on the south elevation. sure enough the bottoms align, but this implies that the align eave tool aligns the bottoms (which is false but I'm getting to that) I responded by saying... Then set the roof properties to plumb double cut and the plumb cut length to 3". Now draw that same line and see if they line up. The fact is they don't and it requires 2 objects with some sloppy modeling hidden under the larger roof (Yes I know there's ways around that too but if you have to keep going around something to get to the destination, you gotta start wondering if it was worth the trip.) I personally think it's a bug or oversite, but that's just my opinion.

I really like the roof tool and align eaves, but I dislike the inputs used in general to determine height and I'm not too fond of the end results of a multi-pitched roof object. If it has to be 2 or more objects then an align eaves to other roof eaves would be real handy, to avoid having to move the roof up or down to align to another.

Justin Marchiel
2006-05-18, 05:24 PM
Like is said this would be a real world problem anyways. in the field the rafters would be different heights, but it would get covered up by the fascia board. as long as the top of the rafters meet at the same height, your fascia would align and you would never notice the difference in behind.

I am say that the tool doesn't need improvement, but REVIT is simulating a real world condition. How it aligns the eaves is something to be desired.

Justin

DoTheBIM
2006-05-18, 06:24 PM
I understand the bottoms to not line up between low pitch/high pitch condition and I understand that to be a real world problem. (revit cuts the bttom of the protuding slope flat with the pointed one anyway works for me... no complaints there). Maybe this pic better illustrates the problem. Becuase of the now off center peak. if we use this to make shop drawings they will be wrong unless the designer knows that the peak is off center. This is not a real world problem. If I design it in 2d I can get all 3 of those eaves to line up perfectly. In the align eaves tool it states what the height is from the base of the roof and it all matches up. but for some reason from one side of the roof to the other the base height has changed by 15/32" thus throwing off the eave alignment and making an off center peak.

DoTheBIM
2006-05-18, 08:02 PM
Justin,

Thank you for choosing Autodesk Subscription. Your Support Request has been documented and sent to our development team for investigation. The development team will try to reproduce your Support Request and make an initial assessment. We will notify you immediately by email whenever your Support Request is updated. We appreciate your patience as we work to resolve your inquiry.

Please note: Not all issues identified in Support Requests are considered significant enough to address in their entirety; a proposed correction may create significant stability risks; some issues may be impossible to fix due to product architectural restraints. Whenever possible, we will work with you to establish an acceptable workaround.

I guess this is their way of saying its a bug??;)

Justin Marchiel
2006-05-18, 08:08 PM
i have had this responce on an item as well. The best that i can read into it is that it is more complicated than changes just a few lines of code. hopefully these issues get fixed in the next build, or release.

Justin