PDA

View Full Version : Design Options for Materials & Color

mwagenbach
2006-05-17, 06:17 PM
I would like to present a client with several different exterior color schemes and I'm trying to figure out how I might use design options for material colors. Is this possible yet? The only thing I can think of now is to copy every wall etc... on top of itself and then change wall type with a new material/color and then add to each design option. This doesn't seen like a reasonable solution though - anybody figure out a better way to display different color options? Maybe this should go on the Revit wishlist...

-mw

dhurtubise
2006-05-17, 06:46 PM
Yyou got the right way

irwin
2006-05-18, 03:47 AM
The only thing I can think of now is to copy every wall etc... on top of itself and then change wall type with a new material/color and then add to each design option.
The sequence should be the other way around: first add all the exterior walls to the option set (which implicitly copies them into each option), then change the walls to use the different wall type. That's probably what you meant. :)

When design options were implemented we considered things like changing materials. One might hope that you could add the wall type to the option set and have different options for the wall type. Switching to a different option for the wall type would change all the outside walls. The problem with this is that Revit allows you to simultaneously display different options, even on the same sheet. You wouldn't want Revit to regenerate the whole model every time it displays the option, so it has to have all the versions of each element around at all times, and hide the ones that shouldn't be displayed. That means that if you want to see two different colors on the front wall then you have to have two copies of the front wall, one with each color. That means adding the wall to the option.

bowlingbrad
2006-05-18, 12:07 PM
You should feel really proud. That was your first answer from a Revit Founder! :beer: