PDA

View Full Version : Dutch gables

aaronwsmith
2006-05-18, 05:59 AM
Does anyone have any hints, tips or methods on adding a Dutch Gable to a hip roof, at the meant I'm using roof by extrusion then cutting away the parts i dont want. I'm also adding a ridge cap by copying the roof, offsetting it above the original and changing its properties so that its only about 5mm thick, then placing it so that its just above the original roof. And then using the cut opening tool to cut away all the pieces of the caping roof to leave what resembles ridge cappng. Anyways, when it comes to the ridge capping part of the process, having the dutch gable as a separate part makes creating this capping rather difficult, so what I'm looking for is to be able to make the gable and the roof all in one. Ive probably just confused the heck out of you! but if you could make sense of that I'm happy to hear what you have! Cheers!

christo4robin
2006-05-19, 04:18 AM
Aaron, without seeing exactly the situation you are talking about, I'd approach it like this...

1. Make a typical hip roof as one roof object. Use roof by footprint.
2. Add the small extensions to make the Dutch gable as a separate roof object, probably still roof by footprint, use the join geometry tool and then edit the sketch again to make it properly join to the primary roof object.
3. Make yet another roof object to be your ridge cap. You could copy and offset as you described, or just start from scratch.

Regardless, you will be using multiple roof objects to reach your objective.

Lashers
2006-05-19, 10:12 AM
Aaron, there is a way to do this with a single roof structure . . I think . . if what I call a dutch gable is the same as yours! Can you post an example sketch??

DoTheBIM
2006-05-19, 01:41 PM
I was always under the impression what you've shown was a dutch hip and this was a dutch gable. What I've shown has to be done in 2 roof objects.

Lashers
2006-05-19, 11:18 PM
I was always under the impression what you've shown was a dutch hip and this was a dutch gable. What I've shown has to be done in 2 roof objects.Cheers JT! You are most likley correct - I wasn't paying attention the day this came up in class! . . just wish I could remember her name!??

blads
2006-05-20, 12:44 AM
Aaron, there is a way to do this with a single roof structure . . I think . . if what I call a dutch gable is the same as yours! Can you post an example sketch??FWIW, I've always known that roof style as a "Jerkinhead (http://freenet.buffalo.edu/bah/a/DCTNRY/j/jerkin.html)" roof

Gadget Man
2006-05-20, 02:00 AM
Does anyone have any hints, tips or methods on adding a Dutch Gable to a hip roof... I'm also adding a ridge cap by copying the roof...I think, that I learnt a better way (at least for some situations) to make a Dutch Gable. It was presented to us during one of the Productivity Day seminars at Karel*CAD in Brisbane. (see pictures 1, 2 and 3)

Also, I usually make a roof capping using simple "Fascia" function with suitable profile (see picture 4)

blads
2006-05-20, 05:20 AM
Nice work Jerry, in hindsight perhaps I should've gone to one of their Productivity Day seminars...

Adam Mac
2006-05-21, 10:19 PM
Yeah, thanks for sharing that Jerry - particularly the ridge capping idea - have always wondered how to achieve that!

Adam

Mr Spot
2006-05-21, 10:44 PM
Would be nice if the roof tool simply had a dutch gable option... I hate having to do them like this as its wastes a little bit of time, especially when there are changes. I think all methods for creating this tend to take around the same amount of time really. So i'd do whatever you find easiest to understand.

HTH.

Gadget Man
2006-05-21, 11:14 PM
Would be nice if the roof tool simply had a dutch gable option... Absolutely! Several years ago I was using CadsoftBuild software - as primitive as it was (comparing with REVIT) it had not bad roof tools! And yes, one of the options was a GABLE option - simply specifying a setback of the gable from the fascia line. With "0" setback it was simply a gable, with offset getting bigger and bigger the (Dutch) gable was getting smaller and smaller! So simple, so easy!

All right, so such Dutch Gable was very basic (ie. didn't have an overhang, etc.), but it was very easy to manually alter it then to whatever you needed. At least the main construction was done quickly and automatically...

shaunamorain
2006-10-06, 06:29 PM
Ok, a little elementry compared to the original question- but...

In the first picture, how was the "dog ear" created? (does anyone know what I'm talking about?:lol: )

The little snip of roof that drops adjacent to the ridge- here i've included an example below. This one was done in three segments! please tell me there is a way to do it in one roof!

One of the books said to split the sketch line, however, this does not work & I can't find any tutorials or posts on it.

Thanks,
Shauna

DoTheBIM
2006-10-06, 06:34 PM
You must split the sketch line twice so to have three segments. center segment set to slope, other two non sloping.

Your example would require five segments with one defining the slope of dog ear, the other 4 do not define slopes.

.chad
2006-10-06, 06:46 PM
i thought that said 'dutch gabber (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabber)' for a second, and i got all excited :Oops:

shaunamorain
2006-10-06, 06:48 PM
I tried that & it didn't work! But I thought it must work if you could do it that way, so I tried it again & I had to make the overhang go out further to make it work...odd.

Thank you for your quick respose & helpfulness!!