willem.92199
2006-05-18, 12:49 PM
Autodesk products working together

christo4robin
2006-05-18, 02:21 PM
What did you use to create the spiral?

swissclive54638
2006-05-18, 03:07 PM
Looks good. We've been playing around with this too. Believe it or not, the attached is a Revit wall. The great thing is that when you insert a window for example, it actually aligns perfectly with the slant of the wall. So even on a twist for example, it'll lie flat. Where we'll use it, I haven't a clue.............but it's fun!!

Simple to do; just create a loft in acad 2007, save it, import it into Revit when you're in create mass and then add a wall by face.

Martin P
2006-05-18, 03:38 PM
Looks good. We've been playing around with this too. Believe it or not, the attached is a Revit wall. The great thing is that when you insert a window for example, it actually aligns perfectly with the slant of the wall. So even on a twist for example, it'll lie flat. Where we'll use it, I haven't a clue.............but it's fun!!

Simple to do; just create a loft in acad 2007, save it, import it into Revit when you're in create mass and then add a wall by face.

So you can get windows to not be vertical...... didnt know that was possible. Like you I have no idea where it could be of use - but very good to know about it anyway!

AP23
2006-05-18, 10:19 PM

Did you save it as DWG or Sat? I wonder if you can link a 3d dwg form AutoCAD in Revit, this will enable you to edit the geometry in AutoCAD, relink and use the remake button to update the wall.

Elmo
2006-05-19, 05:56 AM
I was told that is was a 3D dwg file Andrew. You should be able to link the file but we have come to realise that is does make your project heavy when you import the dwg file.

willem.92199
2006-05-19, 07:18 AM
Hi Andrew

Like Clinton said, I used the autocad dwg in revit by importing the dwg into a "mass" family.Load into project. I then selected the massing tools inside my rvt and selected "create mass".Then the "place mass" tool (make sure that "Place on Work Plane" is selected). The "dwg mass" does make revit very slow, but once the walls by face have been done, the mass can be deleted. This seems to speed up the process.

AP23
2006-05-19, 07:43 AM
I experimented sometime ago with Rhino but it also made the project extremely heavy. I thought that problem would have been solved if you use AutoCAD 2007 as it is an autodesk product. On the other hand, when you make complex mass geometry by using splines, blends and extrusions, followed by a wall by face, the project becomes extremely slow as well. So it might be a general mass problem regardless if you make the masses in Revit or import them from another application.

swissclive54638
2006-05-19, 10:52 AM
It was a DWG file and yes, it does slow Revit down to a crawl. But one of the major things that has been missing from Revit was the ability to create lofts (i.e. morphing one shape into another along a given path). Granted you need AutoCAD 2007, but at least there now seems a fairly reliable way of doing this.