PDA

View Full Version : Wall Opening

ford347
2006-05-18, 04:16 PM
Hey,

I wanted to create some 3" deep wall openings for aesthetics in a wall in my model, then found out with a wall opening tool you can only create square shapes?? Weird. So then I thought the best way would be to create an in place family, category walls, so I could cut geometry, so that's what I did. I created a void extrusion, wall family, then cut geometry and got what I was looking for.

Problems,
when selecting the void or new wall in the model after completing the family, selecting edit, there was nothing there to edit? Then, I can copy this family to another wall, but cannot cut geometry?? So I created similar, but you cannot even select the lines from the previous family with the pick tool to create an exact copy?? I really must be missing something because all I want is a little cut out of a wall and I know this is not a tough thing to accomplish? Could anybody provide me with some insight.

Thanks
Josh

blads
2006-05-19, 01:40 AM
Hey,

I wanted to create some 3" deep wall openings for aesthetics in a wall in my model, then found out with a wall opening tool you can only create square shapes?? Weird. So then I thought the best way would be to create an in place family, category walls, so I could cut geometry, so that's what I did. I created a void extrusion, wall family, then cut geometry and got what I was looking for.

<snip>

Thanks
JoshThis is not answering your problem... but the wall opening tool can create all sorts of weird shapes (refer attachment below...)

BWG
2006-05-19, 02:45 AM
How so?................

Joef
2006-05-19, 03:09 AM
I think the wall opening tool is mainly for curved walls. It will only sketch a rectangle. It is possible to create odd shaped openings using edit profile. It is also possible to create openings or recesses in a wall using the generic model face based family. Just create the void that you want and make sure it cuts the base object in the template and load it into your project. Of course you can make it parametric. Face based families are really easy to use.

In-place void families have much the same problems as all in place families and are not as useful as making a family to cut your void.

Joe

christo4robin
2006-05-19, 04:22 AM
Echoing what Joe said, best bet may be to work with a typical wall, and create a .rfa (family) that is a wall based generic family that is simply a void extrusion in the shape you are after. Insert that void family into your project, and place as necessary.

ford347
2006-05-20, 01:47 AM
Thanks a lot guys. I need to make more families and leave the in-place families alone. Oh how nice it will be when I can affort a staff of family maker dudes!!:lol: Thanks again!