PDA

View Full Version : Inconsistent behaviour when exporting to DWG

Richard McCarthy
2004-06-01, 12:52 PM
Howdy fellow reviteers!

I just discover some weird happening with Revit, I seem to get inconsistent behaviour when exporting to DWG. It's real headache right now. When I try to export each sheets to DWG, sometimes the the drawing will be all mess up, or missing some lines, fills, or just offset to other place or out of the page. Sometimes it just export out happily with no problem at all, the thing is that it all happen with the SAME operation!.. VERY ODD, I wonder if anyone have encounter this?

Allen Lacy
2004-06-01, 02:18 PM
I've just had a problem with exporting to DWG. I tried to export all of the sheets and when I sent to a consultant, they had incorrect names and numbers. Xrefing was all screwed up on a couple of sheets.

Wes Macaulay
2004-06-01, 02:24 PM
It's a shot in the dark, but what happens if you try exporting to DXF? Sometime the difference in appearance is zero, and people have reported that DXF works when DWG does not.

PeterJ
2004-06-01, 02:45 PM
I've just had a problem with exporting to DWG. I tried to export all of the sheets and when I sent to a consultant, they had incorrect names and numbers. Xrefing was all screwed up on a couple of sheets.
There was a problem, and I can't recall if it was fixed or not, with the write-out to Xref always using the same name when you had a batch output. The error occured by always giving the same name to any views that were created regardless of the sheet, hence Project XYZ Sheet 1 would xref in Project XYZ View 1 and Project XYZ View 2 but when batch processed all viewports would be named as Project XYZ View 1 and View 2 rather than updating the View count as the process went along....Complex and something that I though had been resolved but maybe not.

It just means exporting sheet by sheet, which is a bit of a fag.

Allen Lacy
2004-06-01, 03:16 PM
Yeah, Pete, that was my workaround and it was a bit of a fag.

Richard McCarthy
2004-06-03, 10:41 AM
Yeh Peter, in 6.1 the problem STILL EXIST.
I have to try exporting sheet by sheet to get it to work too. I also tried export by batch mode and it work only ONCE, all the other time it fail and complain about duplicate file name. (eg. rendered jpg inserted in sheets)

There was a problem, and I can't recall if it was fixed or not, with the write-out to Xref always using the same name when you had a batch output. The error occured by always giving the same name to any views that were created regardless of the sheet, hence Project XYZ Sheet 1 would xref in Project XYZ View 1 and Project XYZ View 2 but when batch processed all viewports would be named as Project XYZ View 1 and View 2 rather than updating the View count as the process went along....Complex and something that I though had been resolved but maybe not.

Henry D
2004-06-03, 11:08 AM
One problem with exporting sheets to DWG can be in the length of the sheet name... if it has too many characters the computer can't distinguish between names. I encountered this a while ago:

THIS POST (http://forums.solidvapor.net/showthread.php?t=2474)

Scott D Davis
2004-06-03, 05:26 PM
that could be a wishlist item. i've often thought there should be a way that we can enter the default filename for export, and that setting would be saved in the file. My problem currently is that many consultants still use r14, and r14 cannot work with any file names, xrefs, block names, etc, that exceed 31 characters total.

brandonbaunach
2004-10-25, 04:25 PM
I have read this thread, and still no light is shed on what to do if linked files are not showing up in a dwg export. Because of the weird things revit does to my links, converting to DXF is not an option. Doesn't autodesk make both AutoCAD and REVIT? Are no one talking to each other there? My slow fix is export the linked files individually, and if some don't show up just reinsert them as an x-ref in AutoCAD. Anybody got a better, foolproof way?....(PLEASE BEFORE I LOSE ANY MORE HAIR!!!!)

beegee
2004-10-26, 08:21 AM
If you've tried all the suggestions in this thread, its time to give the file to revit Support to look at.

chris.hitchcock.nz
2005-11-07, 09:54 PM
I have had no luck with various ways of doing this, although you are right in some situations (thankfully mine) the export to dxf worked, without displacing anything round the screen.

sbrown
2005-11-07, 10:12 PM
send all your files to support and let them sort it out. Thats what they are there for.

Chad Smith
2005-11-08, 05:18 AM
See this thread (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=25068).
Wireframe was the only solution that I found.