PDA

View Full Version : Large Core Plan Problem

Steve Hutana
2006-05-21, 09:22 PM
Hi there

Am having difficulty with our revit core plan which is 50 megs total w/ x4 linked buildings along with carpark basements and landscaping (minimal trees and cars/peeps) and other smaller items.

Problem is the regen time. I am presently amending and exporting Targa stills at 200 dpi. It takes 20-30secs secs just to regen when adjusting shadows/shades etc.

I have tried unlinking stuff not needed, but still slow. I am using a Gforce 6600 nvidia with
open GL turned off as if left on causes repeated regens when using shade/shadow on.

Can anyone suggest a method to speeding up regen for exporting images as well as general size management to the core file? How are other firms/people dealing with this file size
The over all amount of details in the core file is getting really, really scary.

Thanks
Steve

greg.mcdowell
2006-05-22, 01:49 AM
Couple thoughts... first I think that your processor speed has more to do with view regeneration than your video card does but from what I can tell there's a point at which even a fast computer won't help much and in that case I try to reduce the amount of information needing to be regenerated... are there things you can turn off... or maybe you can tighten up the elevation/section extents to eliminate things you don't need to see... and if none of those work you might try turning the shadows off before you do any work on the view (you can select multiple views and change the properties together or use View Templates) and then turn them back on when you're ready to plot

Steve Hutana
2006-05-22, 02:04 AM
thanks for your ideas. I have just completed czoog's revit bench test to see how I faired!!

I rated 135 total score @ 925 seconds total which is not bad for 2.8 clock with no open GL due to gforce nvidia 6600 graphics not liking open GL on Revit it seems. (very average system)

Would like to turn off buildings etc but need most on for context purposes. End of the day its a huge core file.

I am contemplating copying core file onto my h/drive off the servor to create images. This may speed things up a little

Thanks for your ideas they are great

greg.mcdowell
2006-05-22, 03:53 AM
I haven't heard of that bench test... I found one on the forum that bench marks the rendering engine... was that the one you used? If not could you point me to the test you're talking about? I'd like to see how our computers at work do... maybe I can convince "them" to get us better computers <grin>

tomnewsom
2006-05-22, 10:34 AM
The project I'm currently working on (45MB and growing) has very detailed elevations in grand 1900's french style - I've put all the external walls in one workset and all the wall decoration in another. By turning off all other worksets in elevation views, the regen times are brought back under some semblance of control. Still, I never actually work on views with shadows turned on, that would be crazy!

Steve Hutana
2006-05-22, 09:35 PM
"Je vous comprends"

Thanks for the tips. Great to hear someone doing french architecture on Revit. I created a concept design for a huge chateau here in New Zealand on revit two years ago. Nearly killed me! But fell in Love with the style and am hooked!

My challenge is having over 3 large buildings on my site plus basement parking and l/scaping all together at concept stage. I am not ready for worksets yet as all is still in a stage of flux!

Attempting to reduce depth of field on images and views.

Summary
In futue I would present each bulding outside the core plan in their own right and only use the linked core plan for overall views instead of close up "building shots". In other words
better management of process instead of saying "yes we can do that" to every suggestion in planning and client meetings. The revit curse of "front loading" is that everyone sees the good stuff and wants it

.............."just because one could doesnt mean one should"

Steve

Steve Hutana
2006-05-23, 12:03 AM
Hi Greg

In reply to your question above

I think its the same type of bench test. Refer revit general forum and look for beege's note. Also there is a spread sheet of various revit peeps who have run it. Great comparison to use.
I have a new PC coming and was better able to understand how much g/card and other stuff to get in it for Revit. Need to get my base score up to over 160 total. Heres hoping.

Note
download b/test onto your C drive then I altered the txt file name replacing 6 with 8.1 then simply place over desktop revit symbol, does the rest and places a report txt file back on the benchtest dir on your C:/

Cheers