PDA

View Full Version : CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO DRAW A SCREEN WALL FOR A SCREENED PORCH?

CHRIS.104410
2006-05-22, 09:02 PM
I NEED TO DRAW A SCREENED IN PORCH AND I AM LOOKING FOR SOMETHING TRANSLUCENT TO SHOW WALLS BEYOND. IS THERE SUCH A MATERIAL OR WAY?
WHAT IF I MADE A WALL FAMILY THAT WOULD LOOK LIKE A SCREEN BUT IS THERE A MATERIAL THAT ACTS LIKE A SCREEN TO SEE THRU?

I TRIED TO USE THE CURTAIN SYSTEM BY LINE BUT I END UP WITH A GLASS WALL PANEL THAT I CANT MODIFY AND WORSE I CANT SEEM TO FIGURE HOW TO MAKE IT SEE THRU GLASS. I'M SURE THATS A SIMPLE SEATING BUT DON'T KNOW WHICH.

SEE MY ATTACHED SNAPSHOTS SHOW I ACTUALLY DREW ON THE ELEVATION A FEW LINES BUT FOR 3D THIS WONT WORK.

CAN ANY ONE HELP?

dpollard909366
2006-05-22, 09:27 PM
If you really wanted to make screen, you could draw lots and lots of model lines, and array them. Not necessarily the best solution I think though.

For 3d views I would simply edit the Material Transparency - You can do that in the Material Editor. I would probably make it more of a gray, and I think you can add a crosshatch pattern to the transparent material.

For 2d elevations, you will not be able to see through the transparent material. For this, I would duplicate the elevation view, crop it to be just what you would see in the background, and set its visibility settings to "underlay". Then place all of the views on a sheet and you can layer them, on top of each other.

Thats the best advice I have.. hope it helps.

CHRIS.104410
2006-05-22, 09:47 PM
THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

I will try that but it sounds difficult to manage the layers. As we speak I am trying a "filled region" with a cross hatch pattern and I still need to tweek it but it looks ok in elevation but is a no show in 3d.

What do you mean in your second sentence by "For 3d views I would simply edit the Material Transparency". Are you talking about adjusting a curtain system? I am afraid to alter the glass material cause I don't know where to adjust what the curtain system uses as material, But I do see what you are saying there.

Gee Isn't there another way?

dpollard909366
2006-05-22, 09:53 PM
I mean to edit the glass material - In the material browser, go to glass, and click duplicate, then name it 'screen'. Edit the material properties of 'screen'

the filled region will not show up in 3d, or in any other views.

You can adjust material of the curtain panel in the project bowser under 'curtain panels'

You could just as easily make the screen with a wall instead of using a curtain system also.

tc3dcad60731
2006-05-22, 10:18 PM
I NEED TO DRAW A SCREENED IN PORCH AND I AM LOOKING FOR SOMETHING TRANSLUCENT TO SHOW WALLS BEYOND.......

I will be honest and say that I did not read the other posts. However, here is how I managed this on several jobs. I placed the posts for the porch and then used a glass curtain wall segment in between the posts. I showed this on the colored views and sections but on the flat shot b&w's I did not show the panels.

CHRIS.104410
2006-05-22, 10:45 PM
THANKS DPOLLARD, SO FAR AND I DO UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE SAYING.
I WAS ABLE TO DUPLICATE THE MATERIAL GLASS AND EVEN GAVE IT A SURFACE TEXTURE THAT OF A SCREEN (CROSS HATCH) .

AND AS YOU RECOMMENDED, I CHANGED IT IN THE PROJECT BROWSER/CURTAIN PANELS. AND SINCE THERE WERE SEVERAL IDENTICAL ONES LISTED SOME I COULDN'T GET THERE MATERIALS TO SHOW IN PROPERTIES. MY GUESS IS THEY ARE UNUSED ? BUT THE OTHERS I DID CHANGE, EVEN TO A BRICK WALL BUT THEY DIDN'T CHANGE AT ALL IN 3D....ODD

THANK YOU TC BUT THE PROBLEM STILL IS THE TRANSLUCENTY OF IT ALL IN AN ELEVATION

dpollard909366
2006-05-23, 01:43 AM
yeah - unfortunately I don't think that there is a way to show transparency in 2d elevation at all...

its not too bad using the layered view approach because the elevation updates as the model changes... all you will really need to manage is the crop region. We use this method for showing depth in elevations and sections (i.e. a portion of the building beyond that we want grayed out) when you set the view property to underlay, it grays it automatically. you can underlay a section instead of an elevation if that is easier to manage.

The only other solution is to use an oriented 3d view to show the transparency. (it may not show transparency.. i'm not sure.) duplicate a 3d view and in the top view menu choose orient to view - and pick your elevation. the downside is I don't think that you can annotate and dimension like a 2d view, but it could wortk well for presentation.

godspeed.

kshawks
2006-05-23, 01:12 PM
I like the curtain wall solution. you could try to do a in place window family. You could then make the glass panel a mesh material with a cross hatch surface pattern. If you want to see whats behind the screen in 2d elevations you might try one of the following. 1st cheat and don't show the screen (indicated its omitted for clarity). 2nd. use a filled region and just do portions of the screen (the corners of each screen area). Finally show the entire exterior elevation with the screen material shown and then show another elevation within the porch area (interior elevation).