PDA

View Full Version : Phases and copying

neb1998
2006-05-24, 12:21 PM
Is there a way when in a new construction view to freeze the phase of existing construction objects when copying them? When we work on projects that have many of the same type of units that are being renovated we would like to create one and then copy it down the line instead of having to adjust the existing, demo, and new objects for each room....

Any thoughts?

I tried with groups and it does not work

ejburrell67787
2006-05-24, 12:26 PM
I don't know of a way, but you can use "select all instances" to change all of something to the (same) correct phase. Dunno if that helps...

dpollard909366
2006-05-24, 01:24 PM
If youi just want to 'freeze' everything existing, go to view properties, and adjust the phase filter at the bottom to 'show new'

i don't really suggest using grups for anything, nonetheless with phasing.

ejburrell67787
2006-05-24, 01:53 PM
If youi just want to 'freeze' everything existing, go to view properties, and adjust the phase filter at the bottom to 'show new'the phase filter only changes what the view displays, not the phase properties of any objects.

dpollard909366
2006-05-24, 02:04 PM
It doesn't sound like he wants to change phases of already drawn objects - he just wants to isolate all of the new construction in a view so that he can copy it easily. yes?

neb1998
2006-05-24, 02:05 PM
Yeah the phase filter will not affect the objects in the model.....

PRoblem is having both existing and new elements in the same view and then trying to copy them in a view set to new construction...all the copied elements default to New Construction, including any existing components in the view....

Same situation with copying an existing door in an existing partition in a phase new construction view.....it will become a new construction phased object.....

Maybe no way around this....

ejburrell67787
2006-05-24, 02:10 PM
I think you are right. Same as with Worksets... copied objects all aquire the current workset setting rather than retaining the workset of the copied object. I guess there is some kind of logic to it (ie you draw everything of the same phase or workset at a time)... but I'm not sure it suits working practices in many cases.

neb1998
2006-05-24, 02:14 PM
Yeah as for now the only solution is to setup the existing view with the elements all set to be demolished that i need and then copy them around to all the correct locations...then goto the new view and copy all the new elements only to their correct locations.....

What would make this a lot nicer (and i have run into wishing this existed before) is to be able to filter elements by phase.

christo4robin
2006-05-24, 02:54 PM
This is alluded to in other responses, but to be clear, (not ideal I understand), before you do your copying, change the active phase for the view to existing, copy all the stuff, then change the active phase back to new construction.

neb1998
2006-05-24, 02:57 PM
This is alluded to in other responses, but to be clear, (not ideal I understand), before you do your copying, change the active phase for the view to existing, copy all the stuff, then change the active phase back to new construction.Yeah this sorta works, problem with revit 9 is that you cant change a rooms phase....you can only delete it and then change the vew back to new and reinsert all the rooms.....

This may be to impractical since it causes to many other problems with revit elements...I still wish you could click on a room and change its phase directly.