PDA

View Full Version : Autodesk Suicide

rkmcswain
2006-05-26, 12:26 PM
This is a good thread over in the adsk C3D newsgroup. Check it out if you have not already seen it.

http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?threadID=475152

ralphsanchez
2006-05-26, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the link, RK. We as customers really do need to organize and submit a top ten "please fix these bugs" list alongside the official AUGI wishlist.

rkmcswain
2006-05-26, 01:15 PM
We as customers really do need to organize and submit a top ten "please fix these bugs" list alongside the official AUGI wishlist.
...or better yet - how about work on these products till they are done and forget about this new release every 12 months nonsense.

It's not like they are struggling (http://www.fool.com/News/mft/2006/mft06052212.htm?ref=foolwatch) right now. Is that because their customers are just taking what they are being given?

sinc
2006-05-26, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the link, RK. We as customers really do need to organize and submit a top ten "please fix these bugs" list alongside the official AUGI wishlist.

That would serve little purpose with Autodesk's current philosophy.

As it stands now, a bug has to be pretty serious to get fixed in a Service Pack. If it isn't serious, they don't fix it until the next version at the earliest. But the Autodesk KB is FILLED with bugs that have been in the product since the 2000 release, so there's a good chance that the bug won't be fixed in the next version, either.

Then there's the fact that even if they fix some bugs, if they wait until the next version to release the bug fixes, then they also add a whole series of NEW bugs with the new functionality. So it is NEVER possible to use even a relatively-bug-free version of Autodesk software.

As long as that philosophy continues, any Autodesk user is in for a bumpy ride at best... Autodesk really needs a proactive attack on bugs, and needs to start releasing "minor versions" of the software that fix even the little bugs, while not adding new functionality (and new bugs).

If they came out with a "Autocad 2006 Gold" version right now, that had lots of bug fixes but without all the 2007 changes, then that would be something.

Aquaserpent
2006-05-30, 11:45 AM
What particularly ruffles my feathers is when you point out some of the short comings to the Autodesk "Engineers" (I love it when they call their sales reps. that), I get the what do you what for nothing attitude, or I'll have someone get back with you (and I never hear from anyone). Once the sale has been made it seems their interest in your opinion/perceptions vanishes.

It is not like Autodesk has invented a better wheel, Casey had this functionality before Autodesk bought them out. Microstation from what I understand has had this same functionality for almost 10 years, about as long as we have been asking for it.

dmarx
2006-05-30, 06:47 PM
I get the what do you what for nothing attitude, or I'll have someone get back with you (and I never hear from anyone). Once the sale has been made it seems their interest in your opinion/perceptions vanishes. [/size]

you need a better reseller

Aquaserpent
2006-05-30, 06:57 PM
I'm not talking about the reseller, they would do anything to keep us satisfied. I'm talking about the sales reps. from Autodesk. I also have had problems getting the Division Managers and software developers that work within Autodesk to return my e-mails or phone calls, or when I do get a-hold of someone it is impossible to keep them on track until the issue is resolved. It seems like they listen to the initial complain then they are off and running and it is impossible to catch them again.

sinc
2006-06-02, 04:40 PM
Just in the last week, I've suddenly had several different people from Autodesk contact me about various bug reports that I've filed.

Could it possibly be that Autodesk has realized that the bugs have become the mainstay of water-cooler-conversation? :lol:

jpostlewait
2006-06-23, 12:25 AM
Just in the last week, I've suddenly had several different people from Autodesk contact me about various bug reports that I've filed.

Could it possibly be that Autodesk has realized that the bugs have become the mainstay of water-cooler-conversation? :lol:

Funniest thing I am suddenly on my resellers speed dial.
Conference calls with Adesk Application engineers, Calls from Adesk App Engs to my end users working the problems.

Of course maybe the fact that I bypassed my reseller and went national for Civil3D implementation may have played a part.

At this point no question that the 2007 release is going to make everybody forget about R13.
Can't imagine why Carol bailed.
Good luck Carl, sell your options.

ralphsanchez
2006-06-23, 12:49 AM
When we went on subscription, my reseller threw in some C3d training, which, because of scheduling, finally happened last week

In a class with 5 students over 3 days, we collectively experienced no fewer than 15 fatal errors or "Civil 3D just closed" caused my seemingly normal operations (in most cases, grip editing). This was is in addition to several non fatal, but still obvious bugs (such as ever-growing tables seen by two of the 5 students).

If I were to roll this out enterprise-wide, it would be a disaster which would all fall to me. At this point in time, it's just not worth it. With as precarious as the product is, I honestly can't see it happening for quite a while. Heck, even Land Desktop is getting buggier and they're not even adding new features to it!