PDA

View Full Version : conservatory

charliep
2006-05-26, 08:10 PM
More often now it seems that I'm getting buildings to draw that have or will have a conservatory attached to it. Any suggestions on how to produce a conservatory using Revit 9 thats quick & easy would be most appreciated.

christo4robin
2006-05-26, 10:44 PM
For those of us on the other side, by conservatory do you mean a type of sunroom? Glass walls with metal structure? If I'm guessing right, then I would do it with the curtain wall object and sloped glazing. You can make custom mullions using a profile if you need to.

blads
2006-05-27, 03:51 AM
For those of us on the other side, by conservatory do you mean a type of sunroom? Glass walls with metal structure? If I'm guessing right, then I would do it with the curtain wall object and sloped glazing. You can make custom mullions using a profile if you need to.You'd be guessing right, Christopher

a typical english conservatory (www.clearimprovements.co.uk/conservatory.php)....

charliep
2006-05-27, 07:12 AM
Thanks Christopher, although its upvc thats usually used for the mullions etc., the older ones generally timber. I have been using the curtain wall system, but just wondering (or perhaps hoping) there was another way. Put it down to my inherent laziness which is why I think Revit was made for me

Melarch
2006-05-27, 10:50 AM
Curtain walls, sloped glazing, panels, mullion profiles, other architectural and structural elements or components and in-place faimlies as required - stir into conservatory shape and leave to sit in the sun for an hour and show to client as necessary.

It has been my success story for creating Conservatories in Revit. I have been worked on several projects which had conservatory structures based on Renaissance Conservatories loated in Lancaster, Pennsylvania USA around indoor pools and one actually used as a green house.

Mel Persin, AIA

charliep
2006-05-27, 11:31 AM
Thanks Mel. But you missed out a most important factor - the cold glass(es) of beer while waiting for it all to come together.

Melarch
2006-05-28, 11:24 AM
Actually I didn't miss the cold beer, but after hoisting a few it didn't matter what I was doing or how long it took.

I have come to believe that no matter what a software program is capable of doing, it's never going to be enough. On the other hand I have come to strongly believe in Revit that there is always some way to build the model no matter how much time it takes and convoluted the tools must be used to accomplish it. But a true Reviteer never sees the glass as half empty, but half full and no modeling task is never impossible just another professional and personal challenge to accomplish in the design process.

Have a great weekend!

Mel Persin, AIA.