PDA

View Full Version : "insert/explode" a linked file?

ron.sanpedro
2006-05-26, 09:03 PM
Sorry for the CADish language, but I am not sure how else to describe the issue. Basically, we had a model of the existing building, which we linked into two new models, scheme 1 and scheme 2. Now we find we really want the existing building in the same file as the new work. Call it lessons learned in the pilot project process.
Anyway, it seems you can't really copy/paste, because there is no single view that truelly allows a select all. Ideally what we want is an "insert/Explode" so that linked file in its entirety is now a part of the scheme model, in editable pieces.
Is there any hope?

Thanks,
Gordon

Matt Brennan
2006-05-26, 09:20 PM
You can actually select everything in a 3d view except for annotation. If you actually open up every veiw (floor plans, and select the annotation and paste it into your new project, you should get the results that you are looking for.

You can also mirror the whole entire project, including annotation by doing this same method.

rmcelvain.103137
2006-05-26, 09:22 PM
I'm not sure if you can do what you want, but have you tried copying from a 3D view? You should be able to select the entire model (minus 2d items) while in that view.

Matt Brennan
2006-05-26, 09:47 PM
Yes but if you have the main floor open, second floor view open, and so on, use you crtl + tab to cycle through the veiws as you select additional objects.

From there you can copy it into another project. Works like a charm, most of the time.

Melarch
2006-05-27, 11:08 AM
I find that setting the views, especially the 3D view, to Wire Frame also will insure that every element in the model gets selected and ultimately transfered over to the other project file.

Using the Paste/Align Same Place or Current View in the new project helps position in relationship to the other model linked into the project and it was originally aligned.

Mel Persin, AIA