PDA

View Full Version : Material - By Category

kimheaver
2006-05-31, 06:17 AM
This is a question that has bugged me for a long time.

If you leave an object's material as "By category", where is the material info picked up from, is there some master list or default materials that are applied.

thanks.
Regards,
Kim Heaver

Steve_Stafford
2006-05-31, 06:27 AM
Under Object Styles > Material column

kimheaver
2006-05-31, 06:39 AM
Under Object Styles > Material column

Sheez, I didn't even notice that column there.

thanks,
Kim

nicknamder
2006-06-19, 01:07 AM
I'm still slightly confused by "materials by category". The Object Styles list referred to is mostly blank, although easily able to be modified to a user's needs. But what are or where are the "by category assignments" or are they just part of the programs default assignments ( and wouldn't "by category" be easier to understand if it said " by default " or am I missing something? Also, when user modifies say the Mass material assignment from the filled in 'Mass default', the masses are still transparent blue. There must be a default under there somewhere?

Humph...

Mr Spot
2006-06-19, 01:23 AM
I'm still slightly confused by "materials by category". The Object Styles list referred to is mostly blank, although easily able to be modified to a user's needs. But what are or where are the "by category assignments" or are they just part of the programs default assignments ( and wouldn't "by category" be easier to understand if it said " by default " or am I missing something? Also, when user modifies say the Mass material assignment from the filled in 'Mass default', the masses are still transparent blue. There must be a default under there somewhere?

Humph...
You'd typically assign these materials in your completed template file for quick renderings etc...

If its blank it will just render revits standard grey. But if a material for a family is set to "by category" its material will vary depending on what project its loaded into, so i don't believe "by default" or something would be appropriate and perhaps would be more confusing.

I've never really been too fussed as i tend to assign materials rather than leaving anything set to by category...