PDA

View Full Version : Revit 6.1 rendering hell.....

m.meijer
2004-06-02, 01:10 PM
Hi there,

I've read the previous posts on Revit 6.1 rendering trouble and I thought it would be nice to add our experiences (a.k.a. vent our frustrations).....

We want to render a walkthrough animation of 2000 frames at 425x425 pixels of a fair size project. This project has 7 AccuRender trees. Every time we attempt to render the walkthrough, Revit comes up with (complete bogus, proven below) messages stating that the system is running low on memory. Revit does this 3 times in a row and then crashes silently.

We have rendered the same walkthrough animation 3 months ago on a far less capable machine in Revit 6.0 without trouble (unless you count Revit taking 10 days to render 2000 frames on a P4 2.8Ghz with 1Gb Rambus memory and dual SCSI hard disk to be very long....)

The machine we are currently using to render our animation has the following specifications;
- dual P4 Xeon 2.66GHz
- 4Gb memory
- separate channel SCSI hard disk

It is about 5 times faster than the "old" machine.

We are (of course) now running with Revit 6.1. We altered our model and now want to produce the same animation as 3 months ago but with the changed model.

Revit 6.1 however has been unable to produce more than 200 frames with the AccuRender trees in the project and 500 frames without the trees.

During our last 5 renderings I ran complete monitoring on all of the systems hardware during the rendering process, the log files of these monitoring sessions clearly prove that there are multiple gigabytes of memory to spare at the point where Revit starts complaining about memory.

I have communicated all this with AutoDesk support but all they could come up with was that I should tearn of all AccuRender trees & plants to see of it helps... Well, it didn’t, and I’m still waiting on new suggestions or even acknowledgements of this problem.

The presentation of the new model is Friday over a week, this presentation is crucial and I am beginning to get nervous about whether we are going to make it or not.

Since Revit does not offer the option of saving a project in a older version we cannot revert to Revit 6.0 to render our project (believe me, I tried), and furthermore we have done remodeling in Revit 6.1 that would be lost if we reverted to the last copy in Revit 6.0 format of the project.

The new machine + Revit license costs us more than € 10.000, for that kind of money you would expect that a non major version upgrade like 6.1 doesn't produce errors of this magnitude.

Does anybody know of any workaround or fix to this memory nonsense?

Kind regards,

Maurits Meijer
automation
BURGER GRUNSTRA architecten adviseurs
Netherlands
http://www.burgergrunstra.nl
m.meijer@burgergrunstra.nl

P.S.: for background information on the project we would like to render, please see:
http://www.burgergrunstra.nl/index.html?RF=PRO_zor_mzg
(this is in Dutch)

Martin P
2004-06-02, 02:10 PM
It would be a workaround, but if you can render about 200 frames could you set it up to do them in 16 separate sets of 150 frames? There is some shareware about that lets you stitch separate animations together - I forget the name, Kroke posted it here about 6 months ago?

Henry D
2004-06-02, 02:44 PM
I think the program was Bink http://www.radgametools.com/

m.meijer
2004-06-02, 08:28 PM
We are already doing this, but thanks for the suggestion......

This defeats the whole purpose of our new machine though, it is able to do
the entire animation (almost) overnight so people can work on it during the day....

Positive note: Ive gotten a reaction from Autodesk so perhaps this can get resolved
in a timely fashion....

Kind regards,

M.Meijer