PDA

View Full Version : Possible to model this stair?

Tom Weir
2006-06-01, 06:17 PM
Hi all,
I have a stair with up runs on either side of a big down run. Is it possible to model it? It's got me stumped!
I tried making two stairs, but the stringers in the middle screw it up.

Tom Weir
Los Angeles

patricks
2006-06-01, 06:35 PM
If you do the stringers as handrails using a C-channel profile shape in the handrail properties, then you can make the stair using 2 separate stairs, with no stringers defined, and you can place the channel stringers only where you need them.

Scott D Davis
2006-06-01, 07:01 PM
Just model it as three stairs....the first two stairs go up to and include the landing, and then stop. The third stair is the wide part up to the next level.

Tom Weir
2006-06-01, 07:43 PM
Thanks. Have never tried using railings as stringers.

Scott, with 3 stairs won't I still get the stringer bounding the landing in the way of the third uprun?

Tom

Lashers
2006-06-01, 08:42 PM
Tom,
If we consider how it might be built - I can imagine that the landing would be constructed in place (like a mezzanine floor) then with the stair runs each landing or taking off to suit.

By doing it the way Scott suggested, you will acheive your aims. If you particularly wanted the stringer to form on the edge of the landing I am sure you could use some sort of profile to to connect the two.

Scott D Davis
2006-06-01, 09:11 PM
Thanks. Have never tried using railings as stringers.

Scott, with 3 stairs won't I still get the stringer bounding the landing in the way of the third uprun?

TomTom,

Use the black stair riser lines instead of the green stair boundary lines where you do not want the stringers to appear, ie: the edge of the landing to meet the other landing. Maske sure to set the green boundaries at the landing to "flat" in the options bar. Also, you must have a slight return in the landing to make it work. see attached, which is three stairs. The one in sketch mode has been mirrored.