PDA

View Full Version : Door Cutting Stacked Wall

rlewis.82510
2006-06-02, 03:50 PM
See the attached PDF. I have a stacked wall, all components 8" thick. Wall is made of two different wall types in 7 different layers. Base to top is 1 CMU - 1 brick - 1 CMU - 1 brick - 1 CMU - 1 brick - 8" CMU to the top. The problem is how the door cuts the different wall types. Originally it cut the CMU layers fine but all of the brick went through the opening. Now it cuts 2 of the brick as well, but the third still runs through the opening. Does anyone have any ideas?

vanessa
2006-06-02, 04:05 PM
Wouldn't a vertically compound wall work better for this than a stacked wall? Then it wouldn't need to worry about where the door is hosted in the wall. Just an idea. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding what this wall does in section.

rlewis.82510
2006-06-02, 04:27 PM
I originally tried it as a vertically compound wall but could not figure out how to do it in version 9. I assumed (maybe incorrect) that it was done away with when stacked walls were introduced. When trying vertically compound wall I could split the wall but could not select the different regions to assign different materials or surface patterns.

I went back and tried again. You are correct. In this instance a vertically compound wall works correctly. I was doing something stupid when I said it can't be done in version 9, it can.

However, the original issue of the door not cutting all of the stacked wall layers is still valid. I will be running into this again and would like to know if it is a bug.

I am posting my file.