PDA

View Full Version : walls shaded in ceiling plan?

Justin Marchiel
2006-06-02, 04:43 PM
Is there a way to make the walls shaded in a ceiling plan? I thought about using coarse pattern, but that affects some other things that i am doing. Then i thought about a material shade, but i can't figure out how to get it only to show in the ceiling plan.

Shaded regions will work but time consuming to do. any ideas appreciated.

Thanks

Justin

DanielleAnderson
2006-06-02, 08:29 PM
It would be really helpful if the coarse fill pattern could be view-dependent but it isn't. Could you make your ceiling plans have a coarse level of detail and everything else medium?

Justin Marchiel
2006-06-02, 08:40 PM
I could but the problem is that i use coarse for my code compliance drawings (i use the coarse fill pattern to show fire rating lines, as mentioned previous in this discussion group). I haven't decide which i would use, so i am just trying to gather infor from others on what they are doing, or what can be done.

thanks

Justin

carlosb.101393
2006-06-02, 08:53 PM
Let me know if this is what you are looking for:
Go to the properties of the ceiling plan view, then under advanced model graphics click edit, on style select shade or shade with edges.

Justin Marchiel
2006-06-02, 09:24 PM
No that is not it. I just want to have the middle of the walls shaded, so they stand out compaired to the surrounding area. You can clearly identify the room boundaries then, seeing as a t-bar ceiling can get quiet confusing.

The shaded views are more for 3d modes.

Thanks

Justin

DanielleAnderson
2006-06-02, 10:12 PM
No that is not it. I just want to have the middle of the walls shaded, so they stand out compaired to the surrounding area. You can clearly identify the room boundaries then, seeing as a t-bar ceiling can get quiet confusing.

The shaded views are more for 3d modes.

Thanks

Justin

Yah, this sounds like the discussion that was going on a couple weeks ago about needing "fire tape" for code compliance plans. I'm thinking that at this point, filled regions or else using a single thick line would probably be your only option.

Justin Marchiel
2006-06-02, 10:44 PM
that is what i thought. Hopefully this will be something to be improved on. I will just have to decided which is more important.

As i thought, i have not worked with work groups much, but would this be something that might work with work groups and controlling how the work groups displays with an overide?

Thanks

Justin

DanielleAnderson
2006-06-02, 10:50 PM
Not sure if worksets will help with that or not. I would suggest creating a thick line type that is some sort of grey color (or whatever fill you would want) and then use the pick tool and just draw lines on the walls and lock them to the walls so they move with the walls, and do it that way. It may take a little bit of time, but probably not as much as you are thinking - that's a way faster way of going about it than using filled regions, but it depends on the look you are after.
Regardless - may the force be with you, my young padewan. 8)

Danielle

Justin Marchiel
2006-06-02, 11:39 PM
"Much to learn you still have...my old padawan."

Steve_Stafford
2006-06-03, 02:27 AM
Look at filters and override the cut pattern you have assigned or increase the lineweight (pen) of the wall "cut" so they start to "bleed" into "one"...just a couple thoughts

todd.69291
2006-06-03, 12:08 PM
Filters are probably your best solution. It is a great tool for changing the graphic view of any catagory you choose. Attached file may not be exactly what you want but it is a start.

dpollard909366
2006-06-05, 01:32 PM
In your visibility settings override the wall cut pattern to be a solid hatch. That should do it...

Justin Marchiel
2006-06-05, 03:47 PM
This is what i first thought of doing, but you can't override the cut pattern...

Justin

Justin Marchiel
2006-06-05, 03:48 PM
This seems like a powerful tool the only problem is that i want the area between the wall lines to be filled with a shaded region, not the lines themselves.

Am i not using the tool correctly?

Justin

aaronrumple
2006-06-05, 04:39 PM
This seems like a powerful tool the only problem is that i want the area between the wall lines to be filled with a shaded region, not the lines themselves.

Am i not using the tool correctly?

Justin
You'll still need to override the view settings to have the walls with a coarse level of detail and all the walls will need a solid fill for the coarse level of detail fill pattern.

Justin Marchiel
2006-06-05, 07:41 PM
i like to use the coarse view fill for my fire tape. Did i miss something here, can you have different coarse fills?

Justin

Justin Marchiel
2006-06-09, 05:16 PM
I was playing around with this and i think that i got it figured out. I can make a solid filled material and apply it to the stud layer (or core). In the floor plan i can turn off the wall cut material and the shaded will go away. On the RCP i can turn it back on a voila! The only issue comes when i have masonry and want to see the hatch (or concrete). have not figured out the work around there, but i am one set closer!

Anyone have experience with the above mentioned method?

Justin

edit: it would be great to add materials to filters. I think that it would allow me to do what i am describing above. this might allow a material to display one way then another in a different view.