PDA

View Full Version : Trim Stone Formula

dsw98
2006-06-02, 09:37 PM
Not sure if it's possible or not but I'll ask anyway. Is it possible to create a family that has a forumla built into it so you could adjust the radius and the number of trim stones that would go above a window. (see attached) So what I'd like to have is be able to adjust the radius and number of stones for a smaller or larger window also, is this possible or just a dream?

greg.mcdowell
2006-06-02, 10:01 PM
sounds like you'd need to calculate the number of stones needed and then use that to drive a polar array of the stones... you'll need to calculate the arc length and then divide that by the width of the stones (and maybe add 1 and/ or round the number) to determine the number for the array - does that make sense?

dsw98
2006-06-02, 10:06 PM
sounds like you'd need to calculate the number of stones needed and then use that to drive a polar array of the stones... you'll need to calculate the arc length and then divide that by the width of the stones (and maybe add 1 and/ or round the number) to determine the number for the array - does that make sense?

Absolutely not.... : ) ...The part about a polar array makes sense. But as far as actuallying creating that formula is where I'm lost.

greg.mcdowell
2006-06-02, 11:05 PM
Arc Length "s" = radius of arc * the "central angle" (the lines between the center point and arc ends) in Radians... s=r(Theta)... (hope my Greek is right here <grin>)

to convert an Angle into Radians multiply the Angle by the result of pi divided by 180... Theta=Angle*(pi/180)

so s=r(Angle*(pi/180))... this should give you the arc length

So yeah... it's a little complicated. I got close but I don't know how to lock the array to the angle though it does calculate the number of blocks.

Pull this apart and see what you can learn.

davidcobi
2006-06-03, 03:52 AM
Here's a go at a 180 brick arch. Had the same problem greg was experiencing. Couldn't lock the polar array to a defined angle (Angle of Array).

Arc length = 2πr × Angle/360 or (2 * 3.14 * Block Radius) x (180/360)
Number of Blocks = Arc Length / Block Width

Loads into project file fine now.